Please help me

Bossofchaos

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I don't know for sure but I think he's getting tired of fighting :-( I wish there was something I could do to make him more comfortable.
So sad!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have a vet that will do a fecal for you? It is done the same as for a cat or dog. Can you get some banamine. ? It would help with the pain he is in.

If you saw my PM and think that that scenario is a possibility I would switch him to Tylan. I know I tried 2 different antibiotics and thiamine before we switched to Tylan and started the treatment for mycoplasma. My vet lost about 10 kids from her herd before she figured it out. She fed pooled milk to her kids and she never did identify the doe/ does that are the carriers

They are amazing animals and can hang on for awhile. Try giving him some leaves to nibble on. Blackberries if you have any are great. They love them.

Bossofchaos

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
What are the side effects of the penicillin?

Bossofchaos

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a question... It seems goat polio is caused from poor feed, grain or unsanitary conditions.

He has only been on alfalfa hay and milk
No grain
And my goat pen (about an acre and a half) is spotless clean bedding and water changed daily.

What else would cause the polio?

Bossofchaos

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
He's feeling a little better :) fever got high again I put him in the bath tub with Luke warm water just as I would my own kids and it has helped wonders!!!! He's up walking (slowly) and just ate two handfuls of alfalfa.

Hope were on the mend

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hope so too!!!! Really hard when one is not doing well...little guy is lucky to have you caring for him...hang in there :hugs

Bossofchaos

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the compliment it really means alot right now when I feel so irresponsible for not knowing what to do.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
We all feel that way sometimes...we do our best...we knock ourselves out trying...read everything we can on it...get advice from others...sometimes the outcome is good and sometimes not. Part of the whole thing of owning animals. You are trying so hard and I'm really hoping he makes it!!!! :hugs

Bossofchaos

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Happy to report he's taken a turn for the better! :) :)
Sucking on his bottle :) very lightly but making the effort!
His (star gaze) is fading!
He's becoming more vocal ( not happy)
Up moving around
Eating alfalfa!
Looking for love and affection!!!

Lets pray it keeps going
2 hrs until his next vit b dose
Just finished his penicillin shot, probiotics and milk

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Bossofchaos said:
What are the side effects of the penicillin?
as long as you don't hit a vein there shouldn't be a side effect. It only treats bacterial infections, so if that isn't the problem it wont do any good, but with a fever it seems it would be bacterial. There are stronger antibiotics you can get from a vet. It is important to treat for at least 5 days, because of building up drug resistance.
Also giving probiotics for a few days after the antibiotics will help rebuild the good stuff in his stomach.

Latest posts