Please HELP! My goat can't stand or keep his head up!

Metrolonx

Herd lurker
Reaction score
This morning I went outside to let him out of his pen so he could roam, and found him on the floor, unwilling to move. He's more proactive now, trying to stand up on his own, but is unable to do so. Right now he is able to stand because i have his front end propped up with a stool.

I've had him for about a year now. He was given to me by a family that couldn't care for him anymore. He's one of my first goats, so I of course don't have much experience with the animals, but what i can tell is this:

1) very hard time standing, though he would really like to stand,
2) when he falls over, he starts flailing his legs and is unable to roll to an upright position without assistance, 3) he is unable to keep his head up and mostly falls forward,
4) he is uninterested in food or water,
5) no fever (temperature of 101.4 Fahrenheit).

This took me completely by surprise considering that last night when i locked him up, he seemed perfectly fine.

Please help! :(

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I understand it's Christmas Day, but any chance you could call a vet?

Can he see?
Is he underweight?
Teeth grinding?

Continue to monitor his temp.

Is he lower in the "pecking order", he could have been butted into something causing an issue. Hard to really say without seeing him.

If you are at least able to speak with a vet they might be able to recommend something to help keep him comfortable.

I would at least start him on probiotics to keep his rumin going. When they stop eating there rumin shuts down, when the rumin shuts down their temp drops. Maybe B complex too.

Sorry you are dealing with this :hugs

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you can, I would try to call a vet. Even if they can't see you immediately they can give you ideas.

Could be a few things, but I don't really know.

Metrolonx

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I understand it's Christmas Day, but any chance you could call a vet?

Can he see?
Is he underweight?
Teeth grinding?

Continue to monitor his temp.

Is he lower in the "pecking order", he could have been butted into something causing an issue. Hard to really say without seeing him.

If you are at least able to speak with a vet they might be able to recommend something to help keep him comfortable.

I would at least start him on probiotics to keep his rumin going. When they stop eating there rumin shuts down, when the rumin shuts down their temp drops. Maybe B complex too.

Sorry you are dealing with this :hugs

Thank you for the reply, as far as i can tell he can see. He's actually the top of the pecking order and its unlikely anyone else could of hurt him since hes the only one with horns, but a kick is possible i guess. As far as i could tell he doesn't have any broken bones.

His weight is actually a little above average if i judge him from the hip area, and no, no teeth grinding.

Thank you again for taking time for me on Christmas day!

Metrolonx

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Meningeal Worm???
Thanks for replying, I don't know much about the worm, but from what little i read, it seems that there's usually a lot of itchiness, which my goat isnt exhibiting. Other than that and that apparently, it requires him to be in contact with the same area as deer, its a possibility.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Has he been wormed recently? When you look at the lower membrane of his eyes are the nice and pink or are they pale?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
This seems way too fast for meningeal worm. The goat doesn't go from being totally fine to down overnight with the M worm.

@Metrolonx it would really help if you answer my other post. We simply cannot help unless you answer questions asked.

Metrolonx

Herd lurker
Reaction score
This seems way too fast for meningeal worm. The goat doesn't go from being totally fine to down overnight with the M worm.

@Metrolonx it would really help if you answer my other post. We simply cannot help unless you answer questions asked.
I did but its awaiting moderator approval for some reasond. I'll recap my previous reply, no be is not
Underweight or or low on the pecking order. He is not grinding his teeth either. I've tried to administer probiotics as well as some antibiotics orally, with little success .

Metrolonx

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Based on what I've found on the internet so far, it may be goat polio, but I don't really know. I'm trying to get a hold of some thiamine to treat him with. All the vets are closed and wont answer the phones :(