Please share your thoughts on sheep giving birth in the forest or field

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would definitely get all pregnant ewes to a safe lambing area. If the lambs stay wet and the temps do drop they will very likely die of hypothermia. When fur gets wet it loses a large amount of it's insulation value and if it stays wet it can cause problems on the skin.

Maybe try to lure the Sunday sheep in with grain? Or see if you and your wife can herd her into a barn or building perhaps?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a friend in Kentucky that raises about 150 head of sheep, they lamp in the fields. As long as the temps stay good the lambs seem to do well, even in the rain. A few years ago lambing was during a nasty cold stretch and some lambs were actually frozen to the ground, It was a very tragic year for them but they don't have a barn for that many sheep.

They have about 6 LGDs ;)

If I ever see an adult LGD being re-homed due to people selling their stock I will let you know. Puppyhood can be a challenge at times, and then other times it can be perfect.

In the meantime I would think about an electric fence.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a friend in Kentucky that raises about 150 head of sheep, they lamp in the fields. As long as the temps stay good the lambs seem to do well, even in the rain. A few years ago lambing was during a nasty cold stretch and some lambs were actually frozen to the ground, It was a very tragic year for them but they don't have a barn for that many sheep.

If I ever see an adult LGD being re-homed due to people selling their stock I will let you know. Puppyhood can be a challenge at times, and then other times it can be perfect.

We had that with goat kids our first winter we had goats...it was a brutal winter that year a lot of -30s and -40s...alll of the kids had frost bit ears.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Norse,

Thank you for the warning, information, and heads up! I never even thought about being cautious by waiting until all the lambs drop! Great info! We fed our sheep much better this year so I believe most will give twins and triplets. So this tells me I must wait until all sheep hit the ground before I dare mess with mama. Ok, how do I know when all sheep have hit the ground? Please help me out on this. What is the longest time in-between births for multiple births?

American Blackbellies give birth year round having 3 birthing times every two years. So that is a new sets of lambs every 8 months. I kinda like that! Now we just need to set this up in a manner that is safe and healthy for the sheep.

Learning new ideas every day!

I would like to learn how to "lasso" a sheep. I have seen my rancher friend's ranch hand do it over and over again. I would like to be able to "lasso" those hard to catch ewes and simply put them in the lambing stalls!

Thanks again for the help!

If you happen upon fresh lamb(s) and the ewe still has afterbirth hanging, take a look at it. If you see little white wormy looking strings mixed in with the pink and red tissue, she's done.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would definitely get all pregnant ewes to a safe lambing area. If the lambs stay wet and the temps do drop they will very likely die of hypothermia. When fur gets wet it loses a large amount of it's insulation value and if it stays wet it can cause problems on the skin.

Maybe try to lure the Sunday sheep in with grain? Or see if you and your wife can herd her into a barn or building perhaps?

Wow! BYH is the best place in the world to obtain good advice and help. Thank you Morgan! We were able to do just as you suggested. All is well now.

Thank you babs! Sure glad it rarely goes below freezing here! What a blessed place to raise lambs! I purchased the electric fence power box, some stand offs, etc. To do the entire property may require several days. We have not yet had the chance to put in electric fence anywhere.

Thanks for keeping a listening ear for us regarding a LGD. Lots of em' on Craigslist right now but most are $400-$500 and our present budget will not permit it at this moment. I suppose if 3-4 of our lambs got munched by predators, our budget parameters may experience a sudden change!

We had that with goat kids our first winter we had goats...it was a brutal winter that year a lot of -30s and -40s...alll of the kids had frost bit ears.

Morgan, I have no clue nor can I even imagine what negative 30 or 40 would be like. I thought those low of temps only occur on the moon! :p You are right, that IS brutal!

If you happen upon fresh lamb(s) and the ewe still has afterbirth hanging, take a look at it. If you see little white wormy looking strings mixed in with the pink and red tissue, she's done.

Thank you PQ. Funny you should say that! Yesterday was the first time I noticed the white strings...

Attaching pics I took this morning after moving the flock into one of our annual paddocks and giving the sheep pen that is usually used at night to the two ewes and new borns. Now they can live it up....5 star Hilton!

Lambs 4.JPG

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When you want to carry a new born lamb (s) , carry them by their front legs and very close to the ground ( back legs almost dragging on the ground ). This way it appears more natural to the ewe and even a very reluctant ewe will follow their lamb (s) just about anywhere. As for your idea to "lasso " a ewe, not a good idea. Buy yourself a shepherd's crook. It is a wood pole about 8' long with a very heavy wire end shaped like a very narrow hook with the end bent outward forming a "V" to catch a sheep by it's hind leg at the hock. It has been used by shepherds for centuries. Next to your dog, it will be one of the most important tools for sheep management. I had 3 of them - one for me and 2 spares if and when I needed more help it catching sheep for any reason. Another hint if you have chickens, ducks, or turkeys and want to catch one by one of it's legs very easily. You can make yourself one from a broomstick then replace the broom end with a heavy wire forming a close "V" . Works like a charm !

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the great advice Boss. I will have to try one of those shepherd's crooks! Have you any suggestions on where to purchase one?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
What breed was that LGD?

Some breeds are too aggressive in general and not the best for people new to them to own one.

My male refused to leave the farm to get neutered, even growled at me. But once off the farm, away from what was his, he was super friendly towards total strangers.

I have a pure GP & a 50/50 GP/Maremma, neither roam, neither jump or dig out of the basic 4ft field fencing. Both are friendly towards people I introduce them to on the property. The female barks at the shearer if one of them is still pregnant. Male helps ewes clean up their lambs.

I wouldn't jump on the first litter you find when you decide to get one, research should be done on the breeder & the oup parents, too.

My ewes lamb out in pasture, but only in early spring. I carry new lambs into the barn if we are expecting bad weather or if the mom is new to lambing & might need more time to bond to her own babies. I place the lambs in a corner of a jug, leave the door open a little and let mom follow their cries into the jug, then close it. Or just herd them all into the barn into a small corner and pluck out stubborn mom, lol.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What breed was that LGD?

Some breeds are too aggressive in general and not the best for people new to them to own one.

My male refused to leave the farm to get neutered, even growled at me. But once off the farm, away from what was his, he was super friendly towards total strangers.

I have a pure GP & a 50/50 GP/Maremma, neither roam, neither jump or dig out of the basic 4ft field fencing. Both are friendly towards people I introduce them to on the property. The female barks at the shearer if one of them is still pregnant. Male helps ewes clean up their lambs.

I wouldn't jump on the first litter you find when you decide to get one, research should be done on the breeder & the oup parents, too.

My ewes lamb out in pasture, but only in early spring. I carry new lambs into the barn if we are expecting bad weather or if the mom is new to lambing & might need more time to bond to her own babies. I place the lambs in a corner of a jug, leave the door open a little and let mom follow their cries into the jug, then close it. Or just herd them all into the barn into a small corner and pluck out stubborn mom, lol.

secuono,

Thanks for the great advice. Wow, we learn something new every day! It appears as if your LGD's are perfect for your needs there, and that is a wonderful blessing to have!

I am not sure exactly what breed of LGD it was that attacked my neighbor, but I will ask and do my best to post the answer here. The boy is a high schooler. He worked for us for a few weeks about a year ago. He did show me his "battle scars" and it looked fairly serious [I think it was 60+ stitches, all on the head]. If I heard him right, I think he said the LGD jumped out of a truck at our tiny local store and mauled the heck out of him. So if I heard him correctly, it did not occur out in a field.

I know for certain he settled for $300,000. When he worked for me, he didn't even have a dime. Now he recently purchased brand new quads, a new truck for his dad, etc. So he recently turned 18 years old and now I hope he uses the settlement money wisely.

Yesterday I watched my first dog show in my entire life. It was on TV [National Dog Show], and they had a segment with the herding dogs and the guard dogs. Those were some awesome looking dogs.

I would like to have some LGD's, especially when we get up to 50-100 sheep. Right now, I have to play alot of rotational games with nearly 30 sheep. This morning we let the large flock out into the forest. We turned the mama's with their ewes out into a rye/clover/trefoil/chickory paddock. Two days previous to this, we let the large flock out into that same paddock. I think having some brave and well mannered LGD's would allow us to keep the entire flock out together with no worries at all.

I want to be careful with which dog we obtain. I have been terribly bitten in the past [trained doberman], and it really hurt a lot. It was also frightening because I did not know if/when he was gonna stop.

May I ask how long you allow your ewes and lambs to bond? When we first launched into this sheep adventure we didn't even know we were suppose to allow a bonding period separate from the flock. We starting trying it 6 months ago and noticed an incredible difference! We were thinking 1-2 weeks is sufficient....may I ask what are your thoughts on this?