Possible Predators

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you very much! We will deff be taking care of everything. We don't want her getting pregnant.

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
By the way my geldings wounds look horrific, but they are healing well. The swelling has gone down quite a bit and as well as the infection. I no longer smell dead animal. So he is sore but is doing very well!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Take photos of the gelding's injuries and also your friend's bite. When the vet comes, see if you can get him to put an opinion in writing about the security of the fence around the stallion. Keep copies of all his bills too. You may have to take these people to court so a judge will force them to confine their stallion. What about the sheriff? What are their responsibilities if the stallion gets out and attacks someone else? I would think their liability would be the same as for a dangerous dog or a bull.

I feel really sorry for you having to go thorugh this. It is so stressful and your horses are getting injured! Do you have any legal remedies at all?

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What do you mean by legal remedies? I was going to get some pix of his cuts yesterday but was too worried my mare would fallow and I do NOT want her near him n I don't want to keep scaring her off. I don't want to get kicked or her become afraid of me. I tried asking for a picture. They told me she's ok no picture needed. It upset me but I can't force them to send me a picture. They are allowing us to build a fence further away from the stallion which is good and I hope will calm my gelding down in hopes of him knowing that he can't get close to his mare.

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh and we do take pictures of my geldings injuries as they heal and first came. I plan to try and get a picture of the stallion from as far away as possible but close enough that you can tell it's a horse.

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Land owners are very friendly and will let us do almost anything as long as it doesn't disrespect them or ruin their property. However since it is their property we still have to go through them.

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here are pictures of his wounds when they happend. However as I mentioned his wounds look horrific, but are healing well. The other picture is of him backed up to our mare, wants to touch her closely to make sure she isn't far away. You can see our mares sways back. What you can not see is her twisted bone at the lowest part of the dip. Good thing is, a friend of mine runs a horse rescue and she has given me things to try to help our mare feel better, help raise her back some, and help take pain away. So then hopefully we can get more weight on her without causing her pain and discomfort

Attachments

• 20150505_162257.jpg
    20150505_162257.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 20150427_101629.jpg
    20150427_101629.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 144
  • 20150510_102617.jpg
    20150510_102617.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 137

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
By legal remedies I mean if the stallion comes through the fence again and attacks your gelding can you call the sheriff? Even in farm areas, ranchers are required to keep bulls and dangerous animals under control. Unless it is posted "open range" you can't let your animals endanger others. Since you can't get a pic of the stallion's injuries you don't know if they are treating the horse so you can't report them for animal cruelty.

If your landowners are letting you put up a fence to protect your horses, that should solve the situation. Luckily you have solved the mystery and luckily it wasn't your landlord's dogs.

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
By legal remedies I mean if the stallion comes through the fence again and attacks your gelding can you call the sheriff? Even in farm areas, ranchers are required to keep bulls and dangerous animals under control. Unless it is posted "open range" you can't let your animals endanger others. Since you can't get a pic of the stallion's injuries you don't know if they are treating the horse so you can't report them for animal cruelty.

If your landowners are letting you put up a fence to protect your horses, that should solve the situation. Luckily you have solved the mystery and luckily it wasn't your landlord's dogs.

Oh uhm I'm not sure, I mean I never really had this situation, but I'm sure it's possible. Yes it SHOULD solve the situation but I guess we will see. I had a strong feeling it wasn't the dogs, but at the same time I don't know what it was. I am as well just glad we found the situation so it can now be taken care of

Latest posts