Possible Predators

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A stallion is trying to get to our mare. He is very protective of his mare!! The stallion even mounted our mare through barbed wire! I know this because he was cut up and he had the top wire between his chest and coming out the opposite side of him. Also his head was tied down as the tiny bit of lead he had was caught on barbed wire so we had to cut it to let him loose so he didn't get anymore injured.. worst part OWNERS WERE UN AWARE!! Idk how long he has been caught like that. N I pray to God he did not get our mare pregnant. She has a bad back injury that is perminant. My poor gelding was cantering on 3 legs YES 3 LEGS! With ears back chasing our mare to stop her n push her back the other direction to stay away from the stallion. But no, she wants to stay with the stud.. we are trying our hardest to get ahold of land owners to get fencing up several feet away from the stallion so he can't get to her..

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have the ok to put up fencing to block my mare n the stallion from getting together

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow! Thank goodness you solved the mystery. And thank goodness you can put up fencing to keep the mare and stallion apart. Are the stallion's owners going to move him to a more secure area? It sounds like he could easily get through the fence and get out. Can you check with your vet to see if he can use something like lutelase to prevent a pregnancy?
Therry you are lucky the stallion didn't bite you or savage you when you were trying to help him! Stallions are so unpredictable. I'm glad it wasn't the dogs. Your gelding was pretty brave protecting his fieldmate from a stallion! Did you find the owner of the stallion?

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They won't do anything and I don't know if they even speak english. The stallion bit my friend. We are going to call our vet tomorrow and talk to them and see what we can do. This stallion was 15hh and gorgeous! My mom said I should of taken pictures of him being tangled incase we need it. N I was telling myself to get pictures but I didnt. My gelding is not your typical. He is very protective of his mares and will do everything he can to protect them.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
If your friend was bitten he or she needs to report it to animal control or whoever is your local equivalent. I hope your friend is ok. Horses can carry rabies so that would be a good reason to report it to animal control. If the stallion is torn up and the owners don't or won't get him vet care, your vet can report them to the animal control officers too for neglect. Animal control will come out and check the circumstances and if they determine it is a dangerous situation for the stallion, or other animals or humans from the stallion, (poor fencing, etc., they will take action against the owners. That might be your best bet. If the vet reports the problem you can't be held responsible by the stallion's owners so there won't be any repercussions against you. I hope the stallion is ok and that he doesn't come through the fence again. If he does, get a photo with your phone and call animal control right away. By calling animal control you are putting the authorities on notice of an unsafe situation.

Here in my area there are specific laws governing safe fencing and housing of stallions. You are not even allowed to take a stallion on a public road unless you are over 18 years of age. We have had stallions on trails mount mares with riders on them!

I hope things will work out on this.

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you and sadly animal control around here won't do nothing. It's sad but true. We've delt with them 2 times. I'm not saying the stallion didnt, but I don't think he does. No signs of it. My mare came close as we were trying to mess with him and she was holding onto him and he got angry and bit her. The stallion was still out there nearby today.

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sorry no 3 times

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
wow, just wow!! first so glad it wasn't the dogs but hate that you are having problems with the stallion. is the stallion owner also the property owner or is he keeping his horse there too? in my part of the world it is the stallion owners obligation to make sure they are secure. I'm sure the vet will have medication to prevent pregnancy for your mare. with a back injury she may not be able to carry a foal and it would be awful if you lost her because of this. as a side note several years ago i had a mare who was just awesome as an endurance/trail horse as long as she wasn't in heat, if she was then she was a pia. after discussing her with horse friends and my vet i decided to have her spayed, was the best decision i ever made. she became as dependable as a good gelding and i had her till she was 27 years old and had to have her put down after she broke her hip when she slid and fell playing with her pasture mates. just alternative thought for your girl. hope all goes well

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
No he lives in back of the property owners. Yeah I know that's why we're going to talk to the vet and see what we can do. She is in no shape to be baring a baby.. Thank you, but our girl is a bit older and I don't think surgery is a good option due to her age and other problems.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
totally understandable. not a solution for every one. my mare was 9 years old and it was a win win solution for me. i love her dearly, rode her till the day before she hurt herself. surgery was easy, she was slightly sedated but not put out and she had a small incision made above each flank. after two days at the vets barn he called me and told me to come and get her that she was trying to tear his barn down to get outside. talk to your vet and see if there are med you could give her to keep her from coming in heat. hope you find an acceptable solution.

Latest posts