Possible Predators

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The boxer is the only one who does it and the older he's getting the more he's calming. The other dogs leave the horses alone surprisingly. The dogs have free run on property and they will tell the dog to leave them alone, but let him learn since he won't listen. I can't tell them what to do with thier dogs on their property. We can ask them again, but can't make them. They let us keep our horses there. If I need to I will get a donkey to chase the dog out and keep the horses safe, but if they decide they want our horses off their property for disrespect or something, my horses won't have anywhere to go. So I need to find a way to protect my horses without pushing my luck with anything.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ah tricky situation. What is their liability to you for your horse?
If you get a donkey and it kills one of the dogs what is your liability.

Is there nowhere else you can board your horse or at least ask them if they have a game cam so this could at least be solved. If it proves out to be the dogs then they might at least keep the dogs out of the pasture.

Sorry you have such a sticky situation. :(

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Honestly I have no clue, I don't want it to kill them just chase him out. We cant afford boarding. We have a little under 2 acres but that is almost 30 min away if I remember correctly. Maybe more. It was a hard drive to do daily in the past and also isn't enough there for them. A camera is a very good possibility. I can talk to my parents and see if we can afford to do it and if so then talk to the property owners. They are really nice people and wish the dog will leave him alone, but while working (company on property) and dog not listen it gets kinda hard to keep the dog out at all times. N the dog just loves to run. Thank you! We will figure it out one way or another
Thank you we will figure it out one way or another

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
i totally agree with southern. its the dogs. had 3 horses for over 10 years and had three dogs who after a few years of living next door decided to start harassing the horses. at first the horses ignored them, as the dogs progressed their teasing the horses started whirling and kicking at them. it took one dog nipping hard at the horses to get them running, after the dogs had them separated the gelding , who was the more nervous of the group ran thru the barbed wire to get away. hundreds of dollars worth of vet bills and 4 months of doctoring before i could ride him again. its the dogs. since they don't belong to you I'm not sure what you can do about them. good luck

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i totally agree with southern. its the dogs. had 3 horses for over 10 years and had three dogs who after a few years of living next door decided to start harassing the horses. at first the horses ignored them, as the dogs progressed their teasing the horses started whirling and kicking at them. it took one dog nipping hard at the horses to get them running, after the dogs had them separated the gelding , who was the more nervous of the group ran thru the barbed wire to get away. hundreds of dollars worth of vet bills and 4 months of doctoring before i could ride him again. its the dogs. since they don't belong to you I'm not sure what you can do about them. good luck

We will figure it out and thank you. So sorry that happened to your gelding

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
yes you will, as my mama use to say, it'll all come out in the wash. i just know what its like to be between a rock and a hard place and having to depend on someone else for a place to keep your horse. good luck

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
yes you will, as my mama use to say, it'll all come out in the wash. i just know what its like to be between a rock and a hard place and having to depend on someone else for a place to keep your horse. good luck

Thank you very much!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@goatgurl what happened to your horse is exactly what I was thinking about this poor horse... is he going to end up wrapped in barbed wire cut up traumatized etc

So sorry that it did happen to you and I sure would hate for Therry to go through that.

My sister has horses and they are pretty calm but when they spook it is crazy...scary!

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@goatgurl what happened to your horse is exactly what I was thinking about this poor horse... is he going to end up wrapped in barbed wire cut up traumatized etc

So sorry that it did happen to you and I sure would hate for Therry to go through that.

My sister has horses and they are pretty calm but when they spook it is crazy...scary!

It's scary with any spooky horse. Atleast for me it is