Pregnant ewes driving me bonkers!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
They will bag up weeks before delivery. If a ewe has a very tight full bag, it may be painful. For First Fresheners, it may cause them to walk away when the lambs try to nurse. One year I had to catch and tie 2 ewes to the fence to hold them so the lambs could nurse. I sat on the ground helping the lambs get started. Those ewes did not want their lambs, or me, messing with their boobies! So just watch and make sure the lambs are nursing.

We bought 4 bred “Dorper” ewes. More like Dorper mutt ewes, but I loved them. You are going to enjoy your sheep so much! What are their names?

Fluffy_Flock

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They will bag up weeks before delivery. If a ewe has a very tight full bag, it may be painful. For First Fresheners, it may cause them to walk away when the lambs try to nurse. One year I had to catch and tie 2 ewes to the fence to hold them so the lambs could nurse. I sat on the ground helping the lambs get started. Those ewes did not want their lambs, or me, messing with their boobies! So just watch and make sure the lambs are nursing.

We bought 4 bred “Dorper” ewes. More like Dorper mutt ewes, but I loved them. You are going to enjoy your sheep so much! What are their names?

I haven't named them yet. I have nicknames for some of them but I'm horrible at naming things. We call the one with the long hair dreadlocks, the one with the lamb mama, the black belly is black belly ...

Yeah I should get on some real names here soon.

Fluffy_Flock

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I think I'm leaning towards some names for these two. The black and white one seems like a Daisy to me because she looks like a cow and the white ones face reminds me of a rabbit so I started calling her bunny.

What is Daisy doing with her tail here? She has been walking around like this all morning.

Attachments

• 20200214_100517.jpg
    20200214_100517.jpg
    617.6 KB · Views: 201
  • 20200214_100647.jpg
    20200214_100647.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 204

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did Daisy have a lamb? Holding her tail out could be a sign of labor.

Fluffy_Flock

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Did Daisy have a lamb? Holding her tail out could be a sign of labor.

Ugh NO! I'm telling you! These sheep just love making me crazy! 3 days she has been doing this but she hasn't slowed down on eating or anything. She did look uncomfortable for a short bit yesterday and I thought "oh! This is it!" And nope... still waiting.

Fluffy_Flock

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I did actually get a picture of her behind this morning but I feel a bit funny about sharing it lol if people saw the pictures on my phone they would think I have a weird sheep fetish or something.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
L
I did actually get a picture of her behind this morning but I feel a bit funny about sharing it lol if people saw the pictures on my phone they would think I have a weird sheep fetish or something.
ol...I have goats. Before they kidded I had all kinds of shots of their bags. I was flipping through my phone at a party to show my older friend a picture, and she saw all these vulva shots...oh my gosh was I embarrassed!! I erases them that night. I was taking them for BYH!! :lol:

Fluffy_Flock

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
L

ol...I have goats. Before they kidded I had all kinds of shots of their bags. I was flipping through my phone at a party to show my older friend a picture, and she saw all these vulva shots...oh my gosh was I embarrassed!! I erases them that night. I was taking them for BYH!! :lol:
Omg! I would die! At least I'm not the only crazy person with vulva pictures on my phone :lol:

20200217_093554.jpg

She has been acting all sorts of weird today.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am embarrassed to say that I have to scroll through tons of embarrassing udder and medical photos to find any of the grandchildren! And then they are usually holding a lamb or with the dogs! LOL

Lots of animals do not actually "bag up" - fill with milk - until the actual birth of the baby. Some have full udders for weeks in advance. some actually leak prior to giving birth necessitating placing tape over the teat to avoid losing colostrum or getting infections. Each one is different, and each one can be different from previous pregnancies too!

Jamaica sheep indeed!