Price for goats?

Rustic Green Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the goat world. I am wanting to get some goats soon here. what is a good price for them? I have someone local who is selling a 2y old saanen x boar doe and her 2 kid bucks, all for $650 is that a fair price?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
It could be here, in my area....if they were all in good shape. Healthy and well kept is important. If a really outstanding doe, even more. Plus age of doe. With 2 bucklings, what do you plan?

For me, I would prefer a buck/doe kid set just for value of keeping the doeling. But I do raise them so not always same goals as another buyer. Saanen are excellent dairy goats.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Little late but I wouldnt buy anything atm. Right now prices for us locally at auction are $260-400 each, regular prices before the pandemic goats were $75 and up each. Everyone with a goat atm is trying to sell anything they can for as much as they can get. Backyard buck kids people are asking $250+ for....nothing wrong with small backyard breeding that is what I am but these are kids without proper conformation for their breed, out right lying about the breed, no health testing, no worming program, no vaccinations, etc. Backyard doe kids are $300 and up atm, mixed breeds and all. I appreciate people trying to make money where they can, but lying about an animals isnt right and for a first time goat owner you could get a heap of trouble instead of the goats you are excited about. This kind of thing does happen but atm it seems to be very high rates of it happening.

Same for sheep/lambs atm.