Pricing a horse for sale

BlueRoanPainted

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What would YOU list this horse for?
Selling for a friend but we are not sure what a fair price would be to ask.

Sorrel thoroughbred mare. Registered, ex racehorse. Papers have secretariat. Has been train on jumping classes and has come up second place at all the events, currently being jumped by a 15 year old girl.
Good health, about 15 years old, good head on her shoulders and a lot of get go .gets along with other horses and does will stalled or in a pasture. Trailers, picks up feet, bathes, picks up everything super quick and easily, loves to compete. Was told she has really good form .

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What would YOU list this horse for?
Selling for a friend but we are not sure what a fair price would be to ask.

Sorrel thoroughbred mare. Registered, ex racehorse. Papers have secretariat. Has been train on jumping classes and has come up second place at all the events, currently being jumped by a 15 year old girl.
Good health, about 15 years old, good head on her shoulders and a lot of get go .gets along with other horses and does will stalled or in a pasture. Trailers, picks up feet, bathes, picks up everything super quick and easily, loves to compete. Was told she has really good form .
How are her hooves? Good or not that best? TBs are known for bad feet. She sounds like a great mare, I’d list her for 2,500-3,000, but the more market is about to crash, so I’m not sure if someone is wanting to buy her for that

Palomino

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What level of jumping has she been competing at? USEF? Club Shows? Fairs? Open Shows?
Regardless, it sounds like she has miles on her and is a great horse, so I would not undersell her! You want someone who can afford to take care of her long term, especially in today's world. Personally, I would not let a horse like that go for less than 5K. It sounds like they have a lot of time and money invested in her.

BlueRoanPainted

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What level of jumping has she been competing at? USEF? Club Shows? Fairs? Open Shows?
Regardless, it sounds like she has miles on her and is a great horse, so I would not undersell her! You want someone who can afford to take care of her long term, especially in today's world. Personally, I would not let a horse like that go for less than 5K. It sounds like they have a lot of time and money invested in her.
I'm not 100% ok that. The lady they did the classes and training through wanted the Mil to just give her the horse for her lessons when she decided she didn't want her anymore (has been using her as a cash cow) so I haven't been able to get jump heights, or info from her. Super unprofessional but also a large part of why they are not going there anymore. I BELIEVE it's club shows, and open shows but I can try and get more of that info on her.

Pinewood Ridge

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Missouri..... so Midwest pricing.

Would also be good to know how tall she is, how many hands high? If she's around 15 hh, like most OTT thoroughbreds, you'd probably be marketing to youth customers . I'm thinking in the $3K range.

Do you have Pony Club in that area? There are also a number of different websites where you can see what similar horses are going for, or even list her, such as dreamhorse.com

Latest posts