Promise Acre baking

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@promiseacres why can't you live closer? We could have so much fun! :weee

So over the next few weeks I have to make several different cakes/desserts.
This may prove to be a challenge.

1) Cannolis
2) Blackberry /Lemon cake with A mild Lemon Buttercream icing (piped)
3) Salted Caramel Cheesecake
4) "Twix" Ice Cream Cake
5) Tiramisu

Tiramisu is one of my very favorite desserts. I am wondering if I should make the cannolis with the Mascarpone since I have to make the mascarpone for the Tiramisu.
Of course then that gets me to thinking- UGH I could have used our milk for the cheese... but all the does are now dried off. Then I thought of my disaster with the cream separator. :lol:
Of course that gave my kids some great memories... milk... all over me, the kitchen, the floor...

I give them so much to laugh at. :D:D:D

They all love my ice cream cakes but many years ago the first one I ever made came from my neighbor. I used her recipe. She made these cakes for a hefty price but they were really good.
I followed her recipe for the icing to the "T". It seemed "wrong" but what did I know? Anyway the icing recipe was wrong and it was like concrete. :eek:
EVERY time I make an ice cream cake they all bring up the "cement" icing! EVERY TIME! :lol:

The desserts are all for the family. We are all getting together so you know how it is... everyone (grown kids) has to have something different.
It should be fun.

I wanted to ask you, and the fellow herdies on this thread... what are some of your "can't live without" baking items?

I want to get a tilting turntable. But I envision my cakes sliding right off onto the floor. I guess my kids would have another amusing story.
Anyone have one? Do you like it?

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately proximity doesn't help me with being too busy. I live an hour from my best friend and my kinfolk. I usually only see them 4 to 6 times a year. My congregation lives a few miles from me and only see them once a week.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just got a turntable.... it's great though it's not tilting. My new favorite must have item is a silicone mat that I can roll out my pies, knead breads on, ect...love it
made soft pretzel sticks tonight....ate way too many. I will make chocolate chip cookies tomorrow I think.
NCM_3969.JPG

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Boy do those look scrumptious!!! :drool.....ya wouldn't have had to if I was there....I love those things. I used to get them from a place called Hot Sam's here with cream cheese all over it. I have never made any before, but may have to give it a shot and see how they turn out....:)
Lots of recipes...I like mall pretzels on allrecipes...it does take a couple rises though... I put the leftovers in the freezer and then we reheat them in the microwave.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I'm too lazy o make them but sure do love those big hot, salted, soft pretzels with mustard... Generally one of those is enough for me but man are they good. Before I read the post, I though it was a tray of breakfast sausages... :hide When I see food, I naturally go to meat first... I'm a carnivore at heart. :idunno

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The purple cake is cooling. Yes it is 2:30 am. :th Lemon icing in the fridge for the night- I will pipe tomorrow.
Too tired to start the other cake.
I will make cannolis tomorrow. The ricotta is draining, mascarpone I ended up buying. :( Will start the dough for the shells in the am.

Pics tomorrow- I'll let you know how it comes out. :)

Latest posts