PTS a hurt pet bunny

Gemmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have pet /show ND's and a lionhead. One of my nicest ND bucks got scared and broke his back.
I ask about vet PTS but they wanted 200 bucks really?

I know how to kill rabbit, but I really love this little guy and am trying to find a better way to well put him out of his misery.
He still eats is still a sweet friendly bun (esp for an ND), but his hind legs are atrophying(sp?) and he has a tough time getting his legs stuck and I'm afraid he'll get further injured (like injury to the useless legs).
Any humane suggestion?
I read Franco post from 2011 about rabbits which was very good, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to do this particular rabbit, he is a big fave. Fortunately I have a singleton bunny by him that could carry on.
TIA
Gem

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If it needs to be done, perhaps you could enlist the help of a friend. It's very difficult to 'do the deed' because of love. But he needs someone to love him enough to help him get across the rainbow bridge. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I hope you find a solution for him. At least he's not in any physical pain.

It's unfortunately something we all must face one day. If you absolutely cannot do this, either dig into the piggy bank for the $200 or call a trusted and reliable friend to do it for you.

Say goodbye and tell him what is happening. I think animals understand more then we think they do. They pick up on our feelings and tone. It also helps us work through the passing. I lost my beloved Doberman, Rube five years ago and still cry at odd times. The worst thing for me was not being able to say goodbye. At least you have the opportunity.

It sounds like you love him a lot so you will do what needs to be done for him. I'm so sorry.

Gemmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If it needs to be done, perhaps you could enlist the help of a friend. It's very difficult to 'do the deed' because of love. But he needs someone to love him enough to help him get across the rainbow bridge. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I hope you find a solution for him. At least he's not in any physical pain.

It's unfortunately something we all must face one day. If you absolutely cannot do this, either dig into the piggy bank for the $200 or call a trusted and reliable friend to do it for you.

Say goodbye and tell him what is happening. I think animals understand more then we think they do. They pick up on our feelings and tone. It also helps us work through the passing. I lost my beloved Doberman, Rube five years ago and still cry at odd times. The worst thing for me was not being able to say goodbye. At least you have the opportunity.

It sounds like you love him a lot so you will do what needs to be done for him. I'm so sorry.
thanks, Ponker. I know its the right thing to do for rabbit, just looking for a better way. I think vets should be ashamed for charging that for a simple appropriate injection. I was a vet tech before severe injury, somewhat recovered, had the bunnies prior, so $ is a real issue for us.
I am pretty isolated, but have bunny friends, but this is a subject that is very touchy. Im seeing a bunny friend soon, Ill ask in person.
In the meantime, I put him in an area with solud walls so he cant get stuck.
He loves his food, his blanky , eats and drinks fine, and hobbles over for pettin whenever he sees me.
Ive had animals for all my life, which means the reaper visits, Im no stranger to hardship and tough decisions...really appreciate your empathy.
Gemm

BlessedWithGoats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry about your bunny! :( I know it's hard to lose loved animals... :( @Ponker gave good advice; just love on him as much as you can, before it's time to let him go. Enjoy the time you have left with him. And it's okay to cry. :)

Gemmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
You're welcome! Sorry if that came across wrong, I was just agreeing with what Ponker said, and kinda putting it in my own words. :)

I think what Im looking for is a source
for an injectable I can serve myself. I do all my dog vacs, have had to PTS a dog, but I was working for a vet then.
Thanks, though, I understand.
Gemmer

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but simply put, you took on the responsibility for these animals and putting them down gently when their time is up is part of that responsibility. Nobody that I know or care to know, enjoys killing an animal, especially ones who are pets and have become special and close to us. I have had to put down many dogs over my life span as well as chickens and what not. It's never easy, but must be done. A simple 22 to the head would be swift and painless. You say you have done injections... I believe you can inject air into the heart and cause an embolism... I don't know if that's painful or not as I've never experienced it.

I understand those saying ask a friend to do it, and that is an option, but at the same time, I see that as shirking your responsibility and basically saying you didn't care enough for your animal's well being to take care of it yourself. Again, I'm sorry If I what I'm saying seems harsh or cold, but it's the way that I feel and the way that I am. Sorry you're losing a cherished animal.

Gemmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but simply put, you took on the responsibility for these animals and putting them down gently when their time is up is part of that responsibility. Nobody that I know or care to know, enjoys killing an animal, especially ones who are pets and have become special and close to us. I have had to put down many dogs over my life span as well as chickens and what not. It's never easy, but must be done. A simple 22 to the head would be swift and painless. You say you have done injections... I believe you can inject air into the heart and cause an embolism... I don't know if that's painful or not as I've never experienced it.

I understand those saying ask a friend to do it, and that is an option, but at the same time, I see that as shirking your responsibility and basically saying you didn't care enough for your animal's well being to take care of it yourself. Again, I'm sorry If I what I'm saying seems harsh or cold, but it's the way that I feel and the way that I am. Sorry you're losing a cherished animal.
This is not helpful, only an opportunity to voice an opinion. If you had read my original reply to Ponker, you would know I DO GET IT.
Im not a newbie and well aware of my choices.
I am looking for another way to dispatch period.
Thanks
Gemm

Gemmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score

And I dont think the friend suggestion was to get the friend to do the dispatching, but as moral support. I have had great deal of responsibility all of my life and would never ask anyone else to take on an unpleasant task for me, simply not a shirker.
Thanks
Gemmer