PTS a hurt pet bunny

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does he seem to be in that much pain? Can he get around okay with his back legs?

Gemmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Does he seem to be in that much pain? Can he get around okay with his back legs?
No, in my reply to Ponker was that thats the thing, hes his usual sunny Jim self. Hes unusually affectionate and intelligent rabbit esp for his breed. Ive had lots of rabbits for many years, Ive never had an ND him. Many other breeds usually are mellow and happy.
This bunny is not in physical pain but his condition might allow him to get further injury. Were he in a state of pain I would have taken him to vet right away. It seemed like he might have some recovery, but his hind legs are gettingworse (paralyzed). He s in a safe room right now. nowhere to get stuck and a doormatt for traction
Thanks for your comment
Gemmer

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hope he recovers. Gemmer are you planning on keeping him?

Gemmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I hope he recovers. Gemmer are you planning on keeping him?

I'm afraid his quality of life will continue to deteriorate do to atrophied left rear left. The right he can move.
He needs to go to Rainbow Bridge, I'm afraid.
Thanks Though
Gemmer

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think what Im looking for is a source
for an injectable I can serve myself. I do all my dog vacs, have had to PTS a dog, but I was working for a vet then.
Thanks, though, I understand.
Gemmer

Very sorry that you are now in this position. I know you have faced this before and are no stranger to it but no matter... each time it is painful and sad.

Since you were a vet tech then you are familiar with euthanasia and I assume you also know how long it actually takes. Sadly most do not but it simply "appears" peaceful. This decision is such a difficult one and is also very personal.:hugs

I would ( and I hate to have to say this) look at your LEGAL options. It is illegal for you to give the prescribed method that your vet gives. And although there be be recommended methods it is critical they be within legal means.

Months ago we had to put down our beloved goat due to a shattered femur. She was a bred doe, one of our best, and one of our sweetest. There was no option. My vet was here and said we could do whichever way.... the shot or a bullet. Working in vet med for years I opted the humane way of a bullet. Instant.
When I type this I know how callous it can sound... yet I am sure you know it was truly one of our saddest moment ever on our farm. Still grieve her loss.

It is very clear this bunny is special and you love him and have given him all you can. Sorry I have no advice but to make sure your method is legal. My heart feels for your heavy decision.:hugs

Gemmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Terrible for you the goat.
Legal ramifications only figure in when one is doing something illegal, last of my considerations.
As Im sure you know, there are many types of veterinary practice, I do not have much small animal vet assistance experience we saw mostly dogs and cats, in an urban area.
Anyway thanks, the article in WORD I wanted to post really illustrated how complicated supposedly humane "legal" veterinary administration of the combinations of drugs for euthanasia really is. I hunt, so I do have legal firearm but not for this area. Turkey season's coming up.
I have not relocated yet (another reason for relocating to more reasonably hunting law area).
If I decide firearm dispatch is best, then I may go that route
Was just looking for methods others have used, Ive done other rabbits, but none were already injured or a real companion animal.
Dogs have always been veterinary as there are many legal aspects to consider there and it is much more familiar to most vet practices
( especially if an accident occurs outside one's home area, which often happens when hunting far from
home.) Sporting club sanctioned hunting events always have an official vet, there are written rules for dispatching game when needed but those are birds in US mostly.
Thanks for your input.
Gemmer