Puppies Everywhere -- Oh Dear!!! The last One

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Puppies had an exciting afternoon trying to play on the goats climbing toy. Unfortunately the yearling does were trying to play on it too. One little pup got stepped on and rolled pretty good. Of course I grabed him and gave him lots of love, I think he is ok but it scared me and his mom. Poor guy. This is the age that scares me the most. I have to let them interact with the goats, and explore the pasture, but it is hard on me.

The puppies are not afraid of the goats at all, they are really curious about them. I have seen two of them roll over and be submissive when a doe starts to give them a bump. It is a good sign, and the goat usually stops. When I came home I could see one laying in the field with the bucks, he was not sleeping, but just laying there "on guard". Another good sign. They are 6 weeks old tomorrow.

Can I keep them all? Pleeease. I was sitting on the ground and had pups crawling all over me. I am glad that Southern said that the days of raising LGDs with little human contact was in the past ;)

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You know what would REALLY help? Photos! Lots and lots of photos!
I can only imagine how adorable they are...and you're so lucky to get to watch them growing and learning! Just be extra picky about who they're rehomed with...otherwise be prepared to pay A LOT for dogfood!

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
CocoNUT said:
I can only imagine how adorable they are...and you're so lucky to get to watch them growing and learning! Just be extra picky about who they're rehomed with...otherwise be prepared to pay A LOT for dogfood!
:yuckyuck

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
CocoNUT said:
Hope this helps. And just in case, I am not kicking the puppy in the pic with my foot, he is happily chewing on my shoe.

I have 5 of the nine sold already. One is going to be with a sibling from last year so that is kinda fun. One is going to a BYH member so I get to watch him grow up and he better be good. ;) So far I have not seen any traits I don't like. Last year I had one that was very very shy but not this time. They all seem very outgoing and curious. They are out in the pasture and in the pens and it doesn't seem to faze them at all.

They LIKE chickens already; at least to play with. :hide They have to share food with them quite often which doesn't go over well. I try to correct them when I can get to them. This morning one had a chicken by the wing (hen didn't seem not notice) and I couldn't get to him quickly to correct him but a rooster came to the hen's rescue and acutually jumped on the pup and made him let go. Who knew I would have help from a rooster?

1856_2013-02-15_160601.jpg
1856_2013-02-15_160242.jpg

1856_2013-02-15_160229.jpg
1856_2013-02-15_155452.jpg

1856_2013-02-15_154323.jpg
1856_2013-02-15_152204.jpg

1856_2013-02-15_152030.jpg
1856_2013-02-15_151859.jpg

1856_2013-02-15_153630.jpg

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Awwww sooooo cute!!!! Thanks, now I can go to bed happy. :D ;)

You know what's funny, is that I've never been a *huge* white dog person, but since seeing pics of your Buddy and these little guys I am totally smitten!!! :love

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
WhiteMountainsRanch said:
Awwww sooooo cute!!!! Thanks, now I can go to bed happy. :D ;)

You know what's funny, is that I've never been a *huge* white dog person, but since seeing pics of your Buddy and these little guys I am totally smitten!!! :love
Me either, until I got Buddy. I think I just admire his dedication to his job, and to me, so much that I don't care what color he is. These pups have won my heart and they are HUGE. I should weigh them, but I bet 15-20 lbs already, maybe more. They are very compact.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like post #113 last two pics... I like the serious expression.

on this page......Pic 2,3,9..........pic 7 pup looks awfully playful :lol: and pic 6 blk/wht pup...looks like he would be a "hard" dog, if you know what I mean by "hard". His expression in his eyes says- seriously hard dog. :p

really cute pups.

I am not a white dog person either LOL except Pyrenees!

Shelly May

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hard meaning, hard for you to resist....:lol: we are all smitten over babies no matter what they are, Southern would have them all in the house in the play pen...:hide loving up on all of them :hugs, Nice bunch ;)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Southern by choice said:
I like post #113 last two pics... I like the serious expression.

on this page......Pic 2,3,9..........pic 7 pup looks awfully playful :lol: and pic 6 blk/wht pup...looks like he would be a "hard" dog, if you know what I mean by "hard". His expression in his eyes says- seriously hard dog. :p

really cute pups.

I am not a white dog person either LOL except Pyrenees!
The black and white pup is a very serious boy. At first I thought he was shy but he has warmed up to me ok. But he doesn't play much like the others and is a little bit of a loaner. I think if the lady had called me back about a dog for Montana and her horse he would have been a good fit.

All of them are just so busy exploring everything and everywhere; and everything is a new toy to chew on or chase. But they all respect the goats so I am glad of that. They don't respect the chickens as much. But this morning I saw mom intervene between puppy and chicken so that was good. Maybe they will learn SOME manners in the next few weeks.

They are getting their first shots today :(