purplequeenvt Lambing 2016

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
These are the twins from yesterday. #506 Copper (ewe, upright ears) and #507 Zinc (ram, floppy ears)

I kept their mother tied and hobbled all of yesterday and last night. She had enough slack to lay down comfortably, but she couldn't move around too much. This was so that the babies could nurse. I brought out a bottle throughout the day and they very eagerly took it, but they were also continuing to nurse on mom. This morning, Emily (the mom), seemed much calmer than yesterday so I untied her. She walked away and then stopped to let the babies nurse. She didn't kick them off or walk away from them. Ok, some progress. Still no talking or sniffing, but as long as she's letting them nurse, we're ok.

A while later, I took both babies outside to get a picture of them. She stayed quietly behind eating. BUT when I came back to her pen carrying one of the babies, she baa'd to the baby and then checked her all over and let her go nurse. She did the same thing to the 2nd baby when I brought him back. She may never be the most loving or attentive mother to them, but I think she's going to be ok.

Last edited:

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
:love Sooooooooooooooo CUTE!!!!!! And glad Emily is being a better mommy now! She's a first time mom and she may just learn how this all goes and turn out to be an excellent mom next year :)

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Finally some new babies! Cami had twin girls yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon.

#508 Gallium (left) and #509 Germanium (right)

Gallium weighs a whopping 13.5lbs while Germanium is only 8lbs. This picture better illustrates the massive size difference.

And for all you folks watching udders....this is Izzy. She is due any moment now (I thought for sure she'd go last week, but she's still holding on).

Taken on 1/31

2/10

2/18

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
:lol: Looks like a goat udder almost! WOW! :ep

The lambs are adorable. So funny the size difference. Someone was hogging all the good stuff! ;)
How did she get that one out? OUCH!:confused:

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
:lol: Looks like a goat udder almost! WOW! :ep

The lambs are adorable. So funny the size difference. Someone was hogging all the good stuff! ;)
How did she get that one out? OUCH!:confused:

Size of a goat udder maybe, but those teats are tiny. No fun to milk. ;)

They had some twin-to-twin transfusion going on. Cami didn't have too much trouble with the big one. I helped her a little, but not a lot. This is her 2nd lambing so she's already stretched out. She makes so much noise when she's in labor! Groans and wailing. Most of the sheep will grunt, but are otherwise quiet.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the lambs - what a size difference! And Izzy has one big udder! After milking mine last year I think I could milk her pretty easily, I've got small hands. Bet she'll raise some nice lambs.