Purplequeenvt - New Journal

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Isla has come up with mastitis on one side. She’s been put up in the stall with hay and water and got a jab of antibiotics as well as an intra-mammary antibiotic. I have her separated from her babies for the night, but I’ll let her out tomorrow if she seems to be feeling better. They’re almost 6 weeks old and are eating grain and hay so they’ll be ok for a while without her.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
My BIL’s original pig plans fell through, but he was offered 5 Mulefoot gilts for a really good price. We’ve never tried Mulefoot hogs before. They’re pastured around my pond.

Valerie

Hazel is in the hypothetical dog house tonight. She somehow managed to get sprayed by a skunk while in the dog yard this afternoon. I’m not sure if it’s under the front porch or back deck or if it was just wandering by. 🤢 Thankfully most of the stink is on her face/throat area so it should fade off fairly quickly. She’s been bathed, but she’ll be sleeping in a crate tonight.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mulefoot hogs are a desirable heritage breed. That’s awesome! I bet they are enjoying your pond!

Love Valerie’s face! ❤️❤️❤️

Hazel looks so funny. It’s always funny when someone else’s dog gets skunked! 🦨🦨🦨

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
My BIL’s original pig plans fell through, but he was offered 5 Mulefoot gilts for a really good price. We’ve never tried Mulefoot hogs before. They’re pastured around my pond.

Valerie

Hazel is in the hypothetical dog house tonight. She somehow managed to get sprayed by a skunk while in the dog yard this afternoon. I’m not sure if it’s under the front porch or back deck or if it was just wandering by. 🤢 Thankfully most of the stink is on her face/throat area so it should fade off fairly quickly. She’s been bathed, but she’ll be sleeping in a crate tonight.

She’s giving you the stink eye 😉🤣

murphysranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
"As of 2013, The Livestock Conservancy considers the Mulefoot to be critically endangered, a categorization given to breeds with a population of fewer than 2,000 and yearly registrations of fewer than 200. As of 2006, there were estimated to be fewer than 200 purebred Mulefoot hogs in existence. Maveric Ranch took over conservatorship of the Mulefoot Breed in 2006. To date they have placed breeding groups on over 40 farms across the USA."

Very cool to have a part in the saving of an almost extinct breed.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
We (my BIL and I) built a paddock for the rams today. It’s been on the list for a while, but we are working on fixing the grass in the ram field this year and need a spot to get animals off the field for a while.

The posts are all from cedars cut on the property and I’m pretty sure the fence could keep a dinosaur in. 🤣

What’s nice about this group of boys is that none are aggressive. Stupid, but not mean. When I had my other Shetland ram, you wouldn’t have been able to in field without locking him up somewhere. He was always up in your business and then would hit you for no reason.

My defective runner duck has a baby! There was one other egg that had pipped this evening, we’ll see if we get anymore.