Pygmy Kid - Born in snow and very cold/weak

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
X2

I can understand if you decide to put her down. She is yours and its your choice. Although it seems like if she's been with you this long I personally would try to fight along with her. Can you feel any breaks? I would it the in the water like SBC said. After that I would put a heat pad on it or at least make a "nest" with some towels and hang a heat lamp.

You need to milk momma doe out and freeze the colostrum so you can at least have it for future use.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
The kids I saved last week---I had them in the tub directly, submerged up to their necks, and kept rubbing them for a good 30-40 minutes, rerunning the water as it cooled. Then, they were blow dried very very thoroughly and given a dose of Nutridrench because it was what I had on hand. Mollasses might help, something sweet to get sugar in the blood.

x2 on colostrum but getting her warm is the most important at the moment.

:hugs

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here is a recipe of homemade colostrum replacement. Hope this helps.
1 beaten egg
3 cups warm milk
1 tsp cod liver oil (I used mineral oil, that's all I had)
1 T sugar (I use honey)

smoknz28

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well...I truly want to thank you all for your support through this.

I learned that I was ill prepared for tending to kids upon birthing who require intervention.

I do have one other doe that is ready to give birth as well. I moved her into an enclosed wood shed with fresh pine shavings and straw with food and water. This will prevent her from giving birth in the open where we still have snow and melt.

Need to hit the local TSC to pick up supplies I was missing. Thermometer is one! If there are other recommendations of what I should have on hand as well...please let me know.

Now...for the girl we rescued from the freeze...she put up one hell of a fight...but, she has passed in her sleep after a 9 hour battle. Very heartbreaking, but I do blame myself for my ignorance.

Again, thank you all so much for your quick support. Hopefully our next birth will be a success.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hugs:hugs:hugs

Very sorry for your loss.

See if you can find "Jump-start" paste- his can be a real lifesaver.

Nutri-drench

Thermometer

Towels (for drying)

Nasal Aspirator (For suctioning)

Iodine (umbilical dip)

Dixie cups (for iodine dip)

Paper Towels (for all the "messy")

Dental Floss (to tie off the umbilical cord)

Scissors (for cord snipping and excess floss string)

Gloves (not pictured- sterile gloves for those times when assistance is needed) Full sleeve gloves for emergency

Lube - for emergency

Did you give your does a CD&T vaccine 30 days prior to kidding?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry that you had to go through this on your first shot. It's very hard. You weren't prepared, but who is on their first go round with a bad situation? You tried, and did the best you could under the circumstances. I would recommend that you milk out the mom and freeze the colostrum for future emergency use. You can either pasteurize it first, or just freeze it raw. And the one advantage to all this is that you will have a doe in milk that you can milk for your own use or to save, again, in case of emergencies. Again, so sorry.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry about the loss.
Things that would be helpful
super long gloves
iodine
molasses
you will want to make sure the other doe stays worm and dry.
These are the things that I can think of right know. I will let you know if I think of anything else.