Pygmy Kid - Born in snow and very cold/weak

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry you lost her :hugs You gave her a chance and didn't give up on her!

Something that I always tell folks is to keep Jumpstart Plus paste, Goat Nutridrench, syringes etc on hand. Keeping simple things in hand like plain Karo syrup and molasses on hand can be a life saver.

Look around for some of the little "hot hands" hand warmers. A lot of places are blowing them out at cheap prices with spring around the corner.

Would you like me to post my whole kidding kit? It is everything I keep on hand for kidding time. You won't need all the items, but it's still a good list :)

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could you post all the stuff in the kidding kit? Goat whisper! I would really like to see every thing in it.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
My kidding kit includes:
Towels! Lots of em!
Paper towels
Trash bags
Floss (for the navel)
Iodine+ a cup
Scissors
Rubbing alcohol- I use this to clean the scissors before cutting the navel
Flashlight
Thermometer
Bulb syringe
Bottle/nipples
Frozen colostrum
Disposable gloves
Shoulder length gloves
Lube
CMT mastitis kit along with TODAY mastitis treatment tubes

Weak kid syringe-I haven't had to use it and I hope I never will, but it is a great thing to have on hand.

Small dog sweaters for the baby goat kids- if it is cold outside

I also keep on hand-
Jumpstart Plus paste, I got it from TSC and I don't think 2 of my kids would be alive without it. It was a rough birth and they were very weak and this stuff helped a lot.

Nutri-Drench

Molasses- I give some in some warm water after the doe kids.

Penn G* (antibiotic)

LA 200* (antibiotic)

*These antibiotics aren't really for kidding- I always keep them on hand and if the doe had an issue such as a retianed placenta or stillborn kids, an antibiotic may be necessary.

NOTE: Do not give molasses or Nutri-Drench to an animal with a fever, it will only make it worse.

Other things that are great to have are heating pads, premiere1 heat lamps and other safe heat sources.

smoknz28

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sorry you lost her :hugs You gave her a chance and didn't give up on her!

Something that I always tell folks is to keep Jumpstart Plus paste, Goat Nutridrench, syringes etc on hand. Keeping simple things in hand like plain Karo syrup and molasses on hand can be a life saver.

Look around for some of the little "hot hands" hand warmers. A lot of places are blowing them out at cheap prices with spring around the corner.

Would you like me to post my whole kidding kit? It is everything I keep on hand for kidding time. You won't need all the items, but it's still a good list :)

Yes, please do post up your kidding kit.

There have been some very supportive responses and are welcome.

smoknz28

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Posting at the same time as everyone else.

You need to milk that doe out, I don't know if you saw my post earlier about it.

I did see the post... So, if I milk the Doe out, does that mean I will need to milk her every day/other day? This is what we don't want to deal with.

We have had goats with us for the past 4 years. We actually did have one successful birth happen 2 years ago. We made the mistake of putting our bucks together with the Does too early. Meaning, we wanted the births to take place in late March to early April. This is when it's not as cold here. The successful birthing took place 2 years ago in April. She's still with us and is doing very well.

We have never milked our goats because we don't need the milk nor do we drink goats milk.

Again, I'm worried to start milking the mother because the way I understood about milking is...once you start milking them, you have to continue it or it will be bad for the Doe.

If we can milk her for a few days....I'm good with that and then we can freeze the milk for emergencies.

Please advise. Thanks again. ;)

Latest posts