Question About Hog Panels

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Do have tops great ideas guys thank you. Bay the no clime horse fence strong ? Think 90 pound dog panic in thunder storm amazing what their jaws can do.I do have family member with welder. I am not really worried about cost I believe it takes money to make money, more import that it lasts against a lot of abuse
When you have a commercial dog kennel, you whant the kennel to look good to make your client feel satisfied and happy. Check with a steel supply yard company for sheets of galvanized expanded metal . They come in many sizes as well as guages . The better supply companies have machines that will cut them to size too if wanted. You can get angle iron or square tubbing there too. Some will even custom build your project.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Call your local Tractor Supply, Atwoods, Rural King or whatever you have there. Ask about the cow/hog panels, but ask them about the horse type panels, they have 2"x4" holes, are 4 gauge wire, are very strong. They can be cut to size and welded. A large dog would have a very difficult time chewing it.

Your welder friend can guide you on how to frame it out. Angle iron 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" x 3/8" would be a good size. That means the thickness of the metal is 3/8" thick and it is 1 1/4" wide on both sides. Or he might weld it to flat bar stock, thus eliminating the flange on the angle aron

The 2"x4" horse wire on the roll is strong also, we fenced our place with it. But any dog that could chew through the 4 gauge horse panels would be one big, scary beast. I don't think even a scared, panic stricken, large dog could get through it.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
But any dog that could chew through the 4 gauge horse panels would be one big, scary beast. I don't think even a scared, panic stricken, large dog could get through it.

These are only panels that my buck has NOT been able to break and push thru in rut. 250# of determination. I do not want to face a dog that can chew thru it. REALLY tough.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
[URL said:
Works to a point, untill those welded wires start to pop loose on some panels sometimes in short order. Been there, done that.
If you don't happen to have a stash of old bed frames, use angle iron. LOL Hi! :frow

Hog panels and cow panels are great for building projects on the farm. They do have large enough openings in them that a small dog could get through. Can you post pictures?

You could have your friend weld up an angle iron frame, with cross bars for added strength. You could use non climb horse wire in the gate, it has 2"x4" holes. Do NOT use welded wire as it is total crap and comes apart.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/non-climb-horse-fence-48-in-x-100-ft
See Baymules comment above for welded wire.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score

No, the holes are too big, a dog can get it's head through it. More like this, but with 2"x4" holes. Call the store and ask them. The sheep/goat panels have 4"x4" holes, if you are comfortable with that, use a sheep/goat panel. My thought is that with the small 2x4 holes, a person would have to work at it to stick their hands in there. I always veer off to the liability side of things and stupid people, in your case, sticking their hands in with a scared dog and getting bit.

As far as this being welded wire, it is large gauge and strong. I have 4 of the 2x4 horse panels that I've had for years, I drag them around and use them for various things. Once I used them to make a corral to separate a mare and mule filly for weaning. That mule pawed, leaned on and tried to climb those panels, they didn't give. The panels have held horses (in and out), sheep, chickens and ducks. They are none the worse for wear and will certainly work well for a gate on a dog kennel. I use cow panels all over the place, the holes on them are 6"x6" and are too big for your application. Go with the sheep/goat (4"x4" holes) panels if you cannot get the horse 2"x4" panels.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/feedlot-panel-sheep-goat-16-ft-l-x-48-in-h?cm_vc=-10005

Welded wire that is sold on rolls is total crap, any dog can chew it to pieces. It is easily bent with little pressure. These livestock panels are in a whole 'nother class.

Nyboy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Bay thank you the sheep goat panel is in stock up by country house. Going to pick up 2 if they work will get more.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can also check around and see if anyone carries the 20' long goat and sheep panels. Our coop carries them and they are cheaper than the 16' panels at Tractor Supply. They are heavier and not as easy to work with though.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was just at a wrecking yard to get a part for my pick-up. It was way in the back. That is where the yard had a commerial grade cyclone fence for a day pen for 2 HUGE MASTIFF dogs that were waaaay over 100 lbs. that started to bark and hit that fence with full force in full attack mode and teeth bared biting the fence. The entire yard is enclosed with this fence as these dogs have the run of the junk yard after busines hours. Just some food for thaught.

Last edited: