Question about the size of anatolian shepherds

Robbin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've read the wiki and general Anatolian pages that state some basic ranges for size. My pup is 5.5 months old and is 88lbs. No fat, tall and lean. His mom and dad where gorgeous dogs, but both were 110 to 115.
I think my pup is going to blow by the 110 mark before he's 9 months. Can anybody tell me about how much their puppes weighed at 6 months and what their adult weight is?
Toli is white with a grey scalp and a black mask. He is one awesome pup. I'd post a picture but I can't figure out how...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! You have to make 10 posts before you can post a picture--it's to help keep spammers out. it's not hard to make 10 posts, just go look at some baby goats, sheep, pigs.............. say awe...so cute! And you will have your 10 posts in no time!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Height and weight varies from dog to dog. At approximately 10-11 months your boy will slow down substantially, from that point he will slowly mature into his adult size... usually by 3 years they are fully physically mature weightwise. Heightwise, their maximum height is generally achieved by 1 year.

Congrats on your new LGD! Is this your first LGD? what kind of livestock does he guard?

Our 2 male pyrs at 8 months were 95 and 100 lbs
They are now 18 months and are 125 and 130.... at maturity they will be approx 135-140 and 150-160 they stand 32 " and 31" tall
Anatolian Female was 60 lbs at 19weeks at 15 months she was 120 lbs 31" tall (very tall for a female) She will mature at approximately 130-135 lbs
Pyr Female 50 lbs at 16 weeks, at 14 months she was 95lbs and she is on the short side of 27 " tall.

All our LGD's do their jobs well but the little pyr girl is definitely the fiercest! :lol: A super lovebug outside of her field!

Welcome to the forum! You have to make 10 posts before you can post a picture--it's to help keep spammers out. it's not hard to make 10 posts, just go look at some baby goats, sheep, pigs.............. say awe...so cute! And you will have your 10 posts in no time!
That has changed a bit because of all the public announcements regarding the security protocol.... there is no set number any longer from what I understand... but it is to ensure you are a real user. :)

and yes.... :welcome

Robbin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well it looks like doubling of weight at about 5 months. Which is what I was afraid of. if he doubles 88, he's going to be a Monster. I can't see how he can be so big with his parents 110 to 120. Of course he grandfather could have been 190 and I wouldn't know it. I love him to death, so I don't think it matters, I'm going to need a bigger car. :)
He's a big sweetheart. I mad the mistake of letting him chase the cats when he was little. The cats loved it and would tease him into chasing them. When they wanted to quit, they just stopped. 4 months later he's as fast as a deer, weighs almost a hundred pounds, they don't want to play anymore. He barks at them at point blank range to get them to run. If they stop too soon, he'll step on them. I've almost got him broken of chasing them, but he sure loves it and they HATE it. I'd hate it too if he stepped on me.

My only herd is turkeys. I didn't intend to get a LGD before I got my goats and cows. But I started bee keeping and haven't repaired the fences on the farm we bought. We wanted an Anatolian and I was driving and saw a sign that said Anatolian sheppards. So I pulled in to see what an adult looked like in real life. Georgous dogs. The owner came out and said "Don't you want to see the puppies.." I had to look to be polite.
I was DOOMED....

Here he is at 5 months. he's very white except for his head, the red is from the red clay house foundation.

Well I tried to post a picture again, it wouldn't let me....

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, it will be nice when you are able to post a pic! :)

I doubt he will get that large. Anatolians are tall lean dogs.
Be careful he isn't getting to heavy or growing too fast as that can cause long term problems.

Also make sure he has had several rounds of a dewormer.

What region are you in?

Robbin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He is tall and lean. His mom was noticeably taller than his dad, Dad was noticeably heaver than the mom. Toli is very tall, like his mom, but built like his dad, large head and chest. Hes 90lbs and turns 6 months on the 13th. Ive feed him large breed puppy with the correct rates of Calcium and Phosphorus to help control hip dysplasia. I read that stairs can be an environmental factor in hip dysplasia, but I cant fix that. When I brought him home, we expected him to top out at about 120. I think hell be 120 at 9 months. Hes going to be bigger than we expected. Glad Ive got 80 acres for him to play on.

I'm in the Panhandle of Florida, about 3 miles from the Alabama line.

You can see why I was doomed when she showed me the puppies...

9557_toli.jpg

Robbin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It let me put a picture in that time! Here is Toli at about 75-80lbs, at almost 5 months. he's very white except for his head, the red is from the red clay house foundation.

9557_toli_5months.jpg

Robbin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Georgous dog! We wanted a fawn color, but the big pinto was so playful and friendly, he stole our hearts, and what a face.... We named him Toli for obvious reasons.
Does Callie sleep in a crate or in the field? Toli tolerated a crate for a few months, but he can't guard from there and simply refused to go back in. I forced him for a while, but finally gave up. So he sleeps where he can see our back porch, and still see down the road and into the main field and down the other road leading to the gate.
In the heat of the day he hides under the porch. At night he is ON DUTY...