Question reg moving LGDs to different pastures

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hmmm... this is the first sentences of the first post... (I read this as the fencing is going up BEFORE they are moved.)

Hi All!

We are in the process of purchasing 60 acres "kind of" adjacent to our current sheep pasture (I will have to fence it so that I can use gates across a dirt road to move them around).
4th sentence mentions hotwire.
2nd post by OP gives a bit more detail of how they are fencing it.

The OP's question was
"My question is, how well do the LGDs take it when they are suddenly moved around after being in the same 20 acres for the last 2 years. Can they adjust?"

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Schatzl
Some of us actually read and comprehended what you wrote so I wouldn't worry to much about the comments of those who did not
Good luck with the new property
My family has worked with dogs for literally generations and LGDs are really some of the easiest to work with
They are only a mystery on the internet

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hmmm... this is the first sentences of the first post... (I read this as the fencing is going up BEFORE they are moved.)

4th sentence mentions hotwire.
2nd post by OP gives a bit more detail of how they are fencing it.

The OP's question was
"My question is, how well do the LGDs take it when they are suddenly moved around after being in the same 20 acres for the last 2 years. Can they adjust?"

I read the same thing too :thumbsup

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My male GP jumped out one time. For weeks afterward I walked him up and down the fence line, grabbing the fence between T-posts and scolding him. He squints his eyes and grins when he is in trouble, it is hard not to laugh. He has not jumped out since. He jumps interior fences, that's ok.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I continue to be amazed at how much these dogs are aware of everything and adapt pretty easy. Whenever I move temp fencing my GP will go along the fence like she is looking for holes and the sheep will come in a few minutes later.