Questions on questions to breeders

Slipperygoose

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh, and since I'm here: Lady A. said she will castrate once I pay for them at the wether price... Makes sense. But does that mean I'll have to take care of them? Will she keep them until they heal? Is that a common practice? I'm not experienced with that at all, other than my cats and dogs, and so I'm super nervous about taking care of their areas afterwards...

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
First, welcome from VA. You are doing well to get your concerns addressed before buying. Kudos.

IF one of the sellers is close, AND the kids are young, possibly you can work out them coming to you to castrate. Personally, I would want a contract if sold at wether price & left as a buck ...... either paying more, at time to castrate & you won't allow, or such. Who knows, they may have some ready to go, nice animals, your dream come true.

Most breeders care about their animals enough to want good homes. I've had buyers look at my mini horses, not buy due to price, and THEN CALL ME because their new ones (far less expensive, not registered, etc.) had health issues. I did talk about health issues with them and recommended good vet to help. So, health is a real consideration. Also, most breeders expect a certain amount of "tire kickers" so don't feel badly. It would be better to get 2 from same farm, IMO. Don't try to keep everyone happy.... explain you are looking at a few choices.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with @Mini Horses if you can get them all from the same place this is much better. The goats will all have been on same diet, same preventions, same schedules, and they will have same parasites from off one property. It is not wise to bring in different goats and then put them together. Whenever adding an animal a quarantine area is best. Even for first goats ever. ;)