Rabbit Extras

Marlom Perez

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Friends,

Thanks for reading.

I am in need of suggestions as what to do with the extra parts of a rabbit after processing. I have learned to tan the hides well enough. How about the heads and feet/tail. Anything any of you do with them?

I typically give the heads to my dogs, who eat them whole.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can debone the tail and tan it too. Sew it back together where you made the slit up the middle, and fold over & sew across the end where it held to the body. Those will sell almost as much as a whole hide, at least half. Some folks do just leave them intact however. I do not know exactly how you woud flesh the feet and tan them keeping them intact, but Google the process. It's surely out there.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I normally do the same. Give head to dog along with feet and ears. You can actually use the brain to help you tan though I don't know the recipe. Only thing that doesn't get used is the intestines. Not sure what I could do with those.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have done brain tanning. The Indians believed each animal's brain could tan it's own hide. I don't know how they did it, but it works good in the blender and comes out like a smoothie. I don't think I even had to add water or anything. When I butcher, the head, paws, hide, and intestines all go in the garbage and into a dumpster. A mature hide of a year or older is best for tanning. Mine are generally between 10 and 12 weeks old and real soft and fragile; not worth messing with.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've tanned a few at 10 to 12 weeks and he's right. It's definitely doable but much more delicate.