Rabbit with rapid onset neurological symptoms

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a doe who a couple of hours ago started showing symptoms of some kind of neurological problems. I heard a commotion coming from her cage and when I got there she was bucking/convulsing with her eyes clenched tight... I picked her up to examine her and she stopped convulsions, but retained a weird facial tick... She's drooling a bit. It is not hot today and none of my other rabbits show any signs of heat stress... I have never seen anything like this in my herd before. Any ideas?

I tried to make a video... I apologize for the poor quality.

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
OK... I don't expect her to pull through... I'm going to start trying to integrate babies. I miscounted... This is going to put Hosta with 17... That sucks. :he:barnie

Last edited:

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have just used an oral syringe and admisiteted my grandma's favorite universal critter remedy of mashed banana, molasses and boiled oat water. I figured it couldn't hurt to give it a shot.

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How old are the babies?

Since this is a nursing doe, my first thought is hypocalcemia or some other mineral deficiency brought on by lactation. I had this happen to a Dwarf doe once; weaning her litter and giving her a mineral supplement got her back to normal within a week or so.
The babies are fifteen days old.