rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @rachels.haven,

Regarding the frozen ground, buying a tamping/digging rod may help you. Here is one at Ace Hardware: https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/gardening-tools/digging-tools/74414

Senile Texas Aggie

Ah, that's what that ice pick looking thing in the barn is. GOT IT :)

and at Bruce, The tree is big enough that you can't hug around it by a long shot and very, very tall. I think the tree canopy averages about 60 feet according to DH's estimate. It's also hung up on a similarly large tree. At some point it will go slowly down, I think, not fast. I think it may be hard to get someone to deal with it. If it were me and I'd consider cutting the tree down it's leaning on-that guy is finished-but I'm not sure what kind of force will be released when THAT big tree snaps if you cut it. There's a lot of stored potential energy in that equation. If no one messes with it, neither tree will snap and eventually they will both pull out of the ground, onto that length of fence. Fence guy has a one year guarantee. Wonder if that applies?

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some of the fallen trees in our woods that have fallen in the last 2-3 years are much taller than that one and 3-4 feet in diameter. Quite interesting to walk on. But the tall trees seem to be at the end of their life spans. When those fall by the time they hit the ground they have built up enough speed they shatter. It's quite interesting to see the aftermath after the storms we had. I should take pictures. This tree is hopefully not a 100 footer though.

Not sure why I'm taking DH's height estimate on that tree. Probably because I don't feel like measuring or getting the angle the trees at and calculating to solve for the missing side. It's VERY tall.

ETA after rereading this...our woods are a little dangerous, I guess.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
ETA after rereading this...our woods are a little dangerous, I guess.
Sure sounds so! Don't go out in the big wind storms. Now the question, if a massive tree falls in the woods and everyone is in the house, does it make a sound?

If no one messes with it, neither tree will snap and eventually they will both pull out of the ground, onto that length of fence. Fence guy has a one year guarantee. Wonder if that applies?
I'm quite certain he is guaranteeing the work for quality work and materials, not "acts of god", but you knew that.

One day a big wind and maybe a ton of snow is going to blow through and that tree is going to drop along with the one it is leaning on. I agree, don't touch it yourself. Too bad it wasn't taken down before the fence was put up. My guess is it really needs a professional service with big equipment to take it down from the top bit by bit. You can find YouTube videos which are quite impressive.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
YES trees falling make a sound (for tiny humans to hear). That question has always confused me. The sound is loud, and it reminds you that you are very, very tiny compare to the wind and the trees.

and yes, I figured it wouldn't really be covered. We'll be prepared to fix it.

Last edited:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMG_20191116_084515487_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191116_084610081_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191116_084629762_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191116_084654732_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191116_084658407_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191116_085829940_HDR.jpg

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pics from this morning. Some of that darned tree, some of my dogs eating...something, possibly bear poo again. Hopefully it was only racoon. I accidently stepped in it, then they bolted it fast. Lovely, normal dogs.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you own the property on the other side of the fence by any chance...sure would be nice to get it cut past the fencline so it would fall on the other side...:idunno
We had some trees cut here, one was in a area that was impossible to cut completly down, so we had it topped down to a 40 ' tall "stump" , ... it looks much better since it now has little limbs that have leafs growing...

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow, fence builders here would not have built the fence with a tree like that laying over.... Really, they would outright refuse knowing that it would be down before the next winter. Most here are so busy, that they would say to call them when the tree is off the "fenceline" ; then we'll fit you in.