rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
He attacked me yesterday twice. Bailey saved me the first time when he knocked me over because I wasn't expecting it. The second I manhandled him into the barn and slammed the door. Bailey is done with him and so am I. She has NOT gone to visit him on his tie out.

He doesn't make sense. No growling, no barking, just trying to rip me apart and there's no one home in those eyes at the time. If it were my kids he'd gotten yesterday he'd have killed them. We're done. I should have had the vet euthanize him on Friday. Today I cried all day, tomorrow I'm getting the vet.

Last edited:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks. I feel very blessed to have Bailey and very lucky to have gotten out of that. If Bailey wants in the house I think she gets to come in from now on.

I'm not sure I'm in a position to give him to a university right now. I can't even lift him into the car alone alive. I'm going to need at least DH if not a second person to take his remains for disposal. He is very big and very heavy.

I need to stop intermittently crying and focus on something else to compose myself. I'm telling myself that crying over an animal that wants to eat me is ridiculous.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks. I feel very blessed to have Bailey and very lucky to have gotten out of that. If Bailey wants in the house I think she gets to come in from now on.

I'm not sure I'm in a position to give him to a university right now. I can't even lift him into the car alone alive. I'm going to need at least DH if not a second person to take his remains for disposal. He is very big and very heavy.

I need to stop intermittently crying and focus on something else to compose myself. I'm telling myself that crying over an animal that wants to eat me is ridiculous.
I was thinking your vet might be in a position to know if there were any interest and could perhaps handle the body donation.

I get it, you're not crying over what he is, it's what you hoped he'd be. Crying is very normal and probably not a bad way to deal with this whole mess. You'll get past it, but right now it's a black hole. :hugs

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry. You're crying because you have a heart and because you had hopes for Badger. Those hopes about what "could have been" have been dashed. It's not his fault and that's unfair and that's worth crying about also. Badger is broken and the kindest thing you can do for him now is to end his suffering. My heart breaks for you, him and the situation. :hugs

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would take the dog to the vet asap and have him put down humanely. All you have to do is say he went after you and you will not rehome him. It isn't up to the vet, and you are responsible for him. If he were to go somewhere and he bit or hurt someone else, you would feel so badly. I agree with @thistlebloom completely.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think that there is more than the epilepsy. A tumor seems a very good possibility. You are totally right and I agree with the others that you ARE entitled to cry, because you had such high hopes and wanted him to be an integral part of your homestead. It is sad for him, and for you, but it is not your fault, Have him put down for everyone's safety and well being. I agree that the vet might know if there was a university vet dept that might be able to use him as a way to teach others and maybe they can find a cause. Plus, if that were to be done, and there was a good cause, you would have a very good case to present to this breeder for returning the purchase price.... and it would give them some hard evidence that there was something wrong with the dog that was not caused by anything you did. Regardless, there is obviously something wrong and you cannot ever trust him nor allow someone else to take a chance on getting hurt.