rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
:lol: bwhahahaah! I guess I should have been reading his journal. Goats love trampolines, I guess, and what is a hoop house but a slanted trampoline?
Bugs, the adult lamancha, and the nigerians look scandalized at the abuse the shelter is being given, but the stinking teens don't care. Typical.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never had a goat bite me. That is amazing that you have several that do this. My bucks have always been respectful but, raised from kids. You have a bunch of brats there 😁 :oops: 😁. Good luck with those unruly teens. Maybe it's something in your water :lol:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Right there with the manganese, lol. Yeah, biting isn't exactly their most intimidating defence...or a defense at all really. They ARE being brats. At most it gives you a red mark in the case of my kids. Goats have been slapped or punched especially if they caught me by surprise and got me squarely on the butt or some other sensitive place and I wasn't thinking. Flipping them is more satisfying and lasts longer in their stupid heads. Selling them will last longer still. That will also nix their hierarchy in the pecking order and make instant underdogs of them. My other nigerians have other issues but don't bite. I'd like to dilute the line with nice blood, cull hard, and sell the nasties off, maybe keeping some of their good qualities in the herd. Last year we had 7 bucks and one lamancha doe (that perished) so I'm a little short on registered dwarf does outside of them-only one other who is middle aged, plus two others that could be registered, but the breeder/previous owner STILL hasn't. Getting out of dwarves might be closer than I think depending on how moody I am next time they bite me. Who knows? It might be a roast goat kind of night. I've been bit an awful lot. Might be time to bite back.

Last edited:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
The coyotes came out of the conservation land and were rallying on the hill last night so the bucks are back in the tiny barn pen trying not to eat and enjoying spitting at the girls after they got over being unnerved by the constant howling all night long.

Pity it's unlikely the town would let me fence my property with electric (town rules say you're not allowed to "impede wildlife", state rules are more concerned about messing up water quality, but town must one up them). That's the final "I need to get my family out of there" nail in the coffin. My children need to be safe, I need to be safe, AND my animals need to be safe. It's that time of year again. Don't like giant coyotes that run in big packs, don't like "cute" bears that walk around, come up on porches, and knock on windows, don't particularly like giant, fearless, stupid moose that are only admitted to be there because the cops take picture of it because they think it's funny...don't like living in a high rabies area with no wildlife control. *grumpy, grumpy, grumpy* Not a lot of sleeping got done.

Bailey worked hard last night.
Waiting on election results was super easy for me with all the distractions. You'd never guess I was only two miles outside of "town". Good thing I dropped off my ballot early and wasn't out when the big pack came down. The little nigerian bucklings look like fat bait to me.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I started this post several times and deleted it. Let's just say that in Texas, we shoot threats to our family and animals, and we can put up fences. Tell me that I can't defend my family because a pack of coyotes is more important? I don't think so.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Everywhere else I've lived is the same as TX in that regard (and if you can't shoot them yourself because of their laws, they shoot the threats for you, because it helps prevent law breaking). This place is nuts. I hate it.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
And, I should add, one should not need an attorney and permission from town AND neighborhood to put up a fence well within one's property boundary line on one's own property. That is not our style even if we could afford it. A move would probably be cheaper and less trouble. All of Mass is "in town", btw.

They call themselves "a rural suburb" and a "right to farm community". I laugh. They used to be rural 30 years ago. Now they are an out of touch, elite, suburban bedroom community of affluent (or pretending to be affluent people) with large lots required by law except for when housing developers pay off the conservation board by "donating"/paying them land. Then tiny lot housing developments go up.

Farming is fencing, and when they keep coy-hybrids, and "cute" well fed bears (that I am actually starting to feel bad for because they're not that bright and will just do what they are conditioned to), keeping your family safe responsibly is fencing too. And don't get me started on how they feel about firearms. I'm not a big gun person, but if you shoot anything off ever people start publicly complaining and try to organize, which blows my mind. Based on the town pets they choose to keep, the only rarely allowed hunting is good for the "family" part of this town. If it went away I fear kids would get attacked by coyotes and the well fed bears would get too bold and start ripping siding off houses to get inside like they regularly do a few towns over, especially the way Fish and Wildlife and animal control "take responsibility" for things.

I should count my blessings. I'm farther than 500 feet from my neighbors' houses. I am allowed to shoot a gun.

The critters are fine and happy today, btw. I'm getting rid of 3 young roosters to people who want them for meat. I'm a little busy with the kids school and I'd rather not have blood on the ground right now. Pity though. Silkie is really nice meat.

My husband's uncle brought us their big jackolantern for the goats to enjoy. I'm excited to bring that out later today.

Latest posts