rachels.haven's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
And freaking frozen shower hair....
Your hair must be longer than mine ;)

You know, there's a safe way to do that if you use your brain.
The governor asked that people not travel in big groups of unrelated people and keep distance. Apparently people in VT got pretty resourceful with delivering candy. I don't remember all of them but one that sticks in my mind is the candy slide.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Uh, not sure how but somehow wound up with a bunch of khaki campbells (maybe runner crosses) that someone gave me because they were moving. I guess as soon as they finish their molt I can tell the silkies to take it easy on the eggs and we'll have eggs all winter. I think there are 7 duck and a drake, but I need to grab one and see if it quacks as I am suspicious. So more ducks. :idunnoDucks are not easy to get rid of in the fall here, I guess.

Khakis are the ducks you will have but never see...it's like you don't have them. They don't like or want you. They only want extra pelleted feed and laying eggs. If I can get them in at night they should be easy to keep happy by staying out of their way. And they forage for most of their food, so maybe even fewer ticks and slugs.

Meh

This morning they stopped for a water break and then quickly split to go cover the barn yard for bugs, so no pictures. This should be interesting.

The other calmer ducks have no interest in spaghetti brained companions, so no fighting or anything.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I reluctantly said okay with a side of, "maybe eggs for the winter" on my mind. So far there is little to no increase in feed intake. I'm confused. I may be on Pekin feed amounts still.

Last edited:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Positive News: Trinka, my last lamancha doeling got bred yesterday. She was 90+ pounds and 8+ months old and will be a milking yearling. I bred her to Rustic Wood's Black Tie Affair because I know his babies are small. Yay for (hopefully) no more open does!

Downer news: I shouldn't be surprised, but this morning it came out that PETA has shut down my snobby town's slaughter house at least for the next three months. An employee messed up using a bolt gun and the pig escaped into a neighboring farmer's field and the peta-files got involved. I'm getting the feeling we'd better just consider the hour drive to the NH one because the Bloods aren't going to be able to keep Blood Farm operating for ever with this pressure. So much for being one of the old powerful agricultural families in town. Too many people with more money than brains moving in.

The problem is, Peta wants the other slaughterhouse I use in NH closed down too. And these are some of the nicest, least eyesore-like processing facilities I've ever seen. They could both be on the covers of newspapers, and the one in our town HAS been because it's done up so pretty, and the other one runs a high end smoke/bbq meat place out of the front of the facility (which makes everything smell SOOOOOOOOO good but is so more expensive than my brain can afford thinking about shopping at).

I need a place nearby to take all my wethers so I can really stuff that freezer locker! Having a processor 10 minutes away was going to be sweet. I wanted to use them this year but covid messed that up. Continuing with my plan for next year if Blood Farm does shut down permanently might have to involve finding a trailer and someone to tow them up to the NH place, or just keeping to 4 wethers a year, which would be a little sad because we have the potential to fill the freezer with meat that I know we eat well.

Aw well, poopy PETA. We know where they're strong now.

Side note: Blood farm was burned down in 2015, if my memory serves, and the other processor I used was also burned down and rebuilt recently. Is this a normal occurance for processors, or is it just normal when they live in places infested with extreme animal rights activists? (you know, buildings getting more flammable and all).

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to find PETA is strong pretty much everywhere. I think their name is inaccurate, they aren't for the ethical treatment of animals they are against using animals for other than pets. They'd probably come by my place and claim I don't treat my chickens ethically because they are locked in the coop at night. Frankly, you'd have quite a hard argument to make for my girls being anything but spoiled (though I don't let them in the house like some people do). I have to wonder how many PETAs have dogs, cats or other pets they leave locked in the house all day long while the owners are working. And SURELY they wouldn't have a hamster or a bird that lives in a cage nor fish in an aquarium.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Last I heard Peta was anti pet too, as in they shouldn't have been domesticated. They are ridiculous.
In Iowa where I grew up "People for the Eating of Tasty Animals" shirts were a favorite. Peta's not cool.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I feel like they have issues with themselves and being human. Here's a primary source if fact checking what I said is something people want since it's so out there. I can tell you my animals enjoy being animals even if domesticated. The pets especially enjoy being pets-no threats, lots of food, lots of comfort. Some days trading places would be nice. Excuse me while I go selfishly abuse my cats by cleaning the litter box...

Latest posts