rachels.haven's Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Homemade cheese! :drool I admire your abilities for using the milk to make nutritious good food for your family.

Coyotes-they can and will, kill and eat dogs. One night, over the TV noise and through the insulated house walls, I heard an unholy row outside. Our house sits over 100 feet from the county road, coyotes were killing a stray dog outside our front gate. The coyotes were snarling, the dog was screaming, then it all went quiet. When people toss their dogs out, they most often become a coyote meal.

We even have neighbors that will call us to warn of coyotes. Our standard is to go to the front gate and fire shots in the ground. It goes quiet, coyotes get shot at enough around here that they know to run.

Our dogs are on guard at night, their barks are music to my ears. I actually sleep better, hearing them bark and knowing that they are protecting our sheep.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
They do. People lose dogs here all the time, up to german shepherd sized, sometimes in groups. Often in fenced in backyards. And "lost dog" signs here are really "gone dog" signs. They don't come back. I'm sleeping with one ear open now, and I may have to bring the ax inside if our licenses don't come back soon. If I hear a dog fight, I'm not sure what I'll do but I'm telling myself it will be good. I'm just lucky we're not less 500 feet from the next dwelling. Then I would not be allowed to shoot a gun on my property when I can have one. Too bad if you're one of these people. Fitchburg is crowded.
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/09/21/wildlife-black-bear-shot-killed-fitchburg/

I just have to focus on the fact that we're okay now, we're doing okay, and things look hopeful as long as we can hold down the fort (literally?). This is kind of a goofy place to live, but we are here.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks! Me too. Right now my brain is too scrambled from staying up until 1:30 making cheese to think straight and deal with any of that properly (no kids awake that late).

Poor Saffron. Today she came into heat. And that goat has LEGS. Guess what nigerian bucks don't have? Legs. I let both mature bucks try and they exhausted themselves and just couldn't. They can't be left together because all 140-150 lbs of her gets frustrated then she tries to ride them and they are too small for that. So poor sweetheart, no babies for you. Next year might be better for her. ;)

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score