rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
It was long both because of the vomit and because no matter what Google maps says it always takes an hour and a half. A very, very, very pretty hour and a half. The leaves and landscape is amazing out there. I wish I'd taken DH...minus the vomit.

I think we are going to call him Badger, so now we have Bay and Badge.

Here's a blurry picture from far away this morning as I was taking son#1 to the bus stop. I didn't want to get closer and ruin the moment so I zoomed. Saffron wants to be milked.
IMG_20190924_082050965_HDR.jpg

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hmm, xxl kong and kong knockoffs are a hit here. MOAR FILLABLE RUBBER TUBE THINGIES. Goats can't eat the dog food out of them but the dogs like to. They also like to chuck them around and try to make food come out, and the more playing with those they do the less puppy messes with things he shouldn't. But with dogs you've got to expect some of that. Auntie dog enjoys them too.

Bailey's also lost enough weight that she can run now (and today she ran off and didn't come back for 10 minutes, I think she went to go visit the neighbor's dog based on what i heard, no more off leash until fence) so we'll be going running in the AM's if I can swing it. I've also got a bike or two to run her by if it turns out she does have endurance. She looks like she's lost about 10+ lbs, but she could still stand to lose a little more because she's still fat and squishy especially...everywhere...and still slightly jelly bean shaped. Stairs are getting easier though.

Got in touch with the conservation officer and he wants to help me figure out the permit process. Giving him a copy of our property survey with fence on it. We can talk. Crossing creek and boarding wetland has to happen or perimeter fencing won't. He says he thinks we can get this done quick so the project can start. This may happen.

Ava's dying to get out in the cattle pen and ditch those doelings. I feel so bad for her. She throws her "no more udder bumpers" tantrums at the fence or stall door after about 10 minutes of being back in with her babies in the morning and then all day. Some-doe is going to be counting down until 8 weeks. I believe we just past 3. Not sure she's going to make it till then. She may quit letting them nurse. They ARE eating grain and hay now-not sure about the alfalfa pellets because they are bigger. They'll be fine once they get that figured out.

Going to cull my extra two roosters this weekend and it will be a relief. I always hope I'm making the best decision on this front when I do this. You can't change your mind once the bird is done. I should get rooster pics. They are pretty. One won't sit still. I'd cull just for calm temperament, but the lavender barred one with red and gold shoulders coming in is just too pretty to process.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
She was more in the lack of curves territory before. Now she's curvy with a little sagging in the belly region. I don't think she's ever going to be lean and mean. I don't think that would be ideal for her.
You know, I guess she was on a diet, but she mostly did that herself. I took her off the TSC Retriever 27 food and ended up putting her on Iams large breed, and we'll move her over to Victor's when the bag is done for simplicity's sake (also, Iams comes from WM . com and they keep shipping me expired bags and I hate that, Victor's is from Chewy and the bags are still young and price is the same). She eats 3-4 cups with raw egg or milk on it to repel goats and is done for the day even if I leave it. It's working. She's eating. She's in acceptable shape and is losing weight slowly.

And I don't have to handle dog food that smells like dog poop before being run through the dog. That retriever food was gross.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @rachels.haven,

This is wonderful news about the conservation officer meeting with you and he being willing to help you get the fencing approved! Did he give you a time estimate as to how long the approval should take? I hope it is no more than a week, two at tops. That way you can get started before the ground freezes, and hopefully get done before the snow starts piling up. I wish we were closer -- I would offer to help. Of course, you'd probably send me home after the third time you told me, "STA! Use the other end of the hammer!"

Senile Texas Aggie

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol, I'm afraid if that were the case by the third time my boys would have the hammer and they'd be nailing or breaking everything in sight. Might be safer for us to hire out, and keep the kids :weee away from the cool new toys and people to take them from.

Latest posts