rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually, I've been the most happy with my standard goats. They're actually easier to handle and kinder on the fences. I'm down to one dwarf and her 3 doe offspring and my three bucks that I'm going to be sad to leave behind if I decide to stop NDing. I may keep the next breeding's offspring too, but anyone that doesn't milk like mom or isn't built at least as nice as mom goes. If you do go dwarf or mini, make sure the person breeding them pays attention to what you want. Otherwise you get pets that sort of make milk, but have blue eyes or are polled.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You would fit in just fine in Texas. We would applaud you shooting the coyote. And you could build your fence! We also have plenty of wild hogs for your shooting pleasure.

We have a purple paint to mark trees and posts with that means NO TRESPASSING. Saves a lot of money on signs and works even without fences. Maybe paint a purple line between you and salamander lady! LOL

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you do go dwarf or mini, make sure the person breeding them pays attention to what you want. Otherwise you get pets that sort of make milk, but have blue eyes or are polled.

I so agree. Because they are smaller, many get them JUST for that and don't develop the milk production. Personally, I like my full sized also. I do have 3 mini Nubians that are nice girls. 2 will be FF this Spring, other 2nd time -- and I didn't milk her last yr. Mine are Saanen and SaanenXNubian. The milk is outstanding and plentiful. I get an easy gal a day in 1 milking, after she had nursed twins for 4.5 months. These gals easily give me 2 gal a day if I want to keep them at that. It's more than I need but, for sales of a doe in milk, it's great. OK, some don't want that much milk. I never buy cheeses, yogurt, butter, cream, kefir, & make soaps...plus I feed the chickens, cats, share with friends, etc. :idunno I enjoy them...& drink about a qt a day. :rolleyes: Both types have their place in a family -- depends on needs/wants.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would love to try some of the goat milk products you make, I am just so used to cow milk. And honestly have had 2 not so great experiences with goat milk tasting "funny" and so now I am leery. I would try some from someone who I "know" but refuse to buy and try any from a vendor at a farmers market. Wish I was close to someone who liked to do the "making of the stuff", and I could do the " milking of the animals" and share some of the work. There are negatives to being by yourself all the time. I am not a very good "marketeer" of products, and not even of the making of some of the stuff, I like being in the barn better.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hmm, that's new to me. I wonder if the purple paint law is well known enough here to work. Someone sounded like they were in our woods shooting this morning. I should get the property marked and purple it in properly.
If nothing else, get some wide yellow tape, like the crime scene kind and run it from tree to tree. Put up no trespassing signs.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
This morning milking. A quart from Ava, over a quart from Summer, and a little under a quart from Saffron.
:thumbsup

Hmm, that's new to me. I wonder if the purple paint law is well known enough here to work. Someone sounded like they were in our woods shooting this morning. I should get the property marked and purple it in properly.
I've never heard of it. Here you have to post it with a new "form" every year since the year is on it. Every 400' and all corners. Frankly I'd put the signs a LOT closer. Really easy to walk 200' from a sign and never see it. For the 500' buffer safety zone the signs must be no more than 200' apart but posting it that way leaves the rest of the property open to the public.

Latest posts