rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
That wasp nest went dormant all of a sudden so I kicked it down today and it was empty. But now we've got wasps coming in our bedroom by the dozen every day, so apparently they've decided to move in. Looks like I DO get to call pest control after all. I mean, they're not very aggressive, so I can catch them and put them outside, but eventually someone is going to step on one barefoot or accidently squish one and get stung so I guess I'll be taking care of that this week. So that's what I get for not dealing with that immediately and getting my goats stung, lol. Procrastination is still bad, I guess.

Here's a picture of Longvu WFRH Fallen Angel from the FB post listing her for sale with the doelings. I don't think you need an account to see it. No front view.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2797977576898332&set=p.2797977576898332&type=3&theater

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm interested. She's dry right now, so either her or her daughter. I'd consider both, but you know...
My goals for my herd are
1)decent parasite resistance (within reason) and general soundness
2)milkability-good, well attached, good textured, well teated udder (lol)
3)conformation good enough that I can have something to work with when/if I do start showing. Not to mention form following function.

Within the first two I'd like to select for the last one if that makes sense.

Temperament is a deal breaker too because obviously I have to work with them. Life is too short to volunteer to work with wild goats that think they are feral rhinoceros. I'm not sure it would ever be long enough for that.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Redid 2 of the 3 doelings disbudding. Each of them had one scab lifted up by a horn. This time should do it. I'll get this right eventually. The does took it very well this time.

Rescheduled the Longvu Lamanchas visit until Saturday because I didn't want to drive in the dark.

Going to go see this doe tomorrow during the day. I want to see how loud is "loud". Saffron is "loud" and bellows for all to hear when upset...maybe once a week. Mom milks a gallon and a half supposedly.
upload_2019-10-8_15-35-29.png

https://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail.aspx?RegNumber=L002026044

I don't think lamanchas sell well here. If I play my cards right I might be able to pick up a couple of does to be our main milkers and a nice registered buckling in the spring. I was thinking of selling the nigerians in the spring BUT DH and DS's won't hear of it. So I guess we're doing both. Really nice dairy nigerians out of which I will sell anything I don't like milking and a few dairy lamanchas.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
As a side note, it looks like I'll be putting off milking Avalon. It worked for a while, it hasn't been for few days now. If I separate and milk she doesn't allow the fawn doeling to nurse. So I'll probably restart in a week or two for the sake of the kid. Then they can all wean.

Conservation guy got back to me yesterday evening with formal paperwork that I'll be doing with DH since I find that kind of stuff intimidating. The conservation guy's not totally sure what kind of approval I'll need. He thinks I'll either need to apply for an RDA, or an NOA. RDA's wait time is 1 month after paperwork is received and a $53 fee, and NOA is 2 months after that paperwork is received. I'm unclear on the fee. So we'll do the paperwork now but the fence project is probably a next year thing. That is considered "quick". Man, the hoops you have to jump through here to do stuff on your own land...