rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
And our drought didn't look that bad honestly either. The grass just went dormant and people couldn't plant for much of the year or do hay. I don't think trees died more than normal. We did get fires, but this area is a tinderbox of overgrown white pines live and fallen so cynical me says that fires are going to happen and bring mass devastation eventually. It's bad management and unrealistic forestry expectations to expect it not to. A little scary to live in it, but that's life (sort of like spending a lot of time in tornado alley, but not dying in a tornado...like a lot of people here).

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, my husband and kids want another "cake milk" doe-aka a Saffron. Saffron was a la-nub. These are just "nubs"-nubians. This Saturday we are driving to a dairy to check out some does, see if any of them have a temperament I want to bring on and a build I like from the head to the feet. Thick girls. She(s) will come bred. If we like these girls I will probably make the hard decision to sell off the dwarves as their kids wean and go. They eat as much as standards each, fight more, milk less, and are harder to deal with. The math does not make sense and I am ready to give them up.

I know what I can/want to deal with but I have no feelings on adding a nubian or two. I've decided that on this, a goat is a goat. This isn't my goat errand. I'll just be taking care of it.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
So you do milk them? Apparently DH & kids drink it....so, it's a go to me! I love my goat milk. This spring I will offer a couple of my young goats as trained milkers. They bring several hundred each here. My heard is at a point that I can sell 4-5 a year like that. A good deal of work to train some but most of mine have been reasonably easy. The milk is good and plentiful. I have Saanen & SannenxNubian.

I hope you find some acceptable ones! It's work but relaxing as well -- if you don't have to push some other time issues.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you explain that since she hadn't been born yet it might have been difficult?

As a matter of fact, I did. Since life for the entire world started on the day she was born, I don’t know if I did any good.

Oh @Bruce , don't start that argument with a 4. According to many kids around that age, they were always born and present and you are wrong and they are right. The fight can get epic. It's as if they are not rational beings but little loud balls of emotion.

Yes. This. She is my Ring Tailed Tooter!