rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I put down a little more barseem and lespedeza this afternoon with the lawn tractor and spreader with Dan driving. He had a bad day at school and needed a pick me up (his brother got all the end of the year achievement awards). He was thrilled. He says he wants to practice for having a tractor when he has cows (as in, plural) . 🤦‍♀️

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your child is going to have cows one way or another!!! As soon as he is old enough, 4-H or FFA is in his horizon... tell him he has to learn how to show a goat and how to train it and teach it to walk and all, then can graduate to a calf... give him something to be positive about looking forward to... and maybe set an age limit if they don't already have one for the club....

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Now that the seed is all in I've decided I'm going to build an 8x8 chicken coop....after my buck pen build.
There is one available by a company that's 8x10 and $3K, free delivery and leveling and I have most of that from selling goats off, but that's hay money and I don't want to blow it there.
yjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk,, (shared by baby Shaun)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If the one that is available there is decent, that is not a bad price considering the cost of lumber right now. You would be hard pressed to get one built for that... and this one is ready to go... set up and all. Not trying to tell you what to do... And another thing.. if it is delivered and set up... god forbid you ever wanted to move it... it would be able to be moved since it is all "put together" for being moved to start with.
How are the little goat kids doing?

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
If the one that is available there is decent, that is not a bad price considering the cost of lumber right now. You would be hard pressed to get one built for that... and this one is ready to go... set up and all. Not trying to tell you what to do... And another thing.. if it is delivered and set up... god forbid you ever wanted to move it... it would be able to be moved since it is all "put together" for being moved to start with.
How are the little goat kids doing?
I'll keep thinking about it. Dh probably wouldn't mind looking out his window at a coop that isn't so...Rachel-style.

The goat kids bounced back and after a bad 36 or so hours where I was sure they'd just be dead next time I looked they are now feistier than any other of the kids so far this year. Idk what that all was back there. They got lots of vitamin b complex, a dose of selenium, and lots of tube feeding. Who knows what actually helped.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dan woke up at 5 am yesterday and quietly went on a rampage getting into and getting out everything in the kitchen before finally settling on trying to make himself a platter of cookies with his newfound reading skills and a handwritten cook book he scrounged up and promptly destroyed (MINE). Mark is busy with his bike build and baby Shaun has not been letting me put him down (probably because Dan brought home yet another cold that now baby and I have too), so I pushed all that mess into a cubby hole under the bed in the room of my mind to deal with later. This morning I'm realizing I need to deal with the ramifications of the Dan-page for sanitation's sake(I keep finding more layers of mess) so I took the tray of Dan peppermint patty, kit Kat, and peanut butter cup cookies (we didn't have chips but he found the candy stash and gave it a chop and put it in) and a spatula out to Ma Hog's pen and sat there scraping cookie mess and handfeeding her and her piglets cookies until they were gone. I didn't take pictures because they got a little enthusiastic so I needed both hands to make sure they took turns and nobody ate them all and got Dan induced diabetes or chocolate poisoning, but now it's time to de mess the kitchen (he made real cookie dough under supervision this morning so there is a double mess). Not one of my glory moments, but I figure I should record it here. Fb would not appreciate tales of me sitting barefoot in the pig pen in the rain feeding small black pigs cookie pieces after my son destroyed my home again because I did not get up at 5 am...sigh. I'm glad the pigs liked them.

Offending Dan cookies. He had me put them in the oven for the right amount of time but there was too much fat in the candy so it all melted and oozed particularly in the middle where the candy piled together.

yes, he totally got into trouble, not that he cares. Try telling a cow it's grounded. That's about the reaction I get from that 7 year old.

PXL_20220526_183952043.jpg

It's gloomy and rainy. That's about my mood.

Dh also said they tasted really good. *Lol*

Last edited:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dan, btw is not the reason I almost completely de dwarfed. He's like that because his brother is very difficult especially when offended, wronged, or just angry. Or sleep deprived. When Aiden ain't happy, ain't nobody happy...and he's got a nasty temper he's going to have to learn to "temper". He's also very anxious when off. But everybody loves him. He's a socialite and very nice to his friends and teachers. But he's learning not to take it out on his family. He's a pill.

Latest posts