Herd Master
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the kid we are praying for, Mirage
20210322_175858.jpg

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I forgot about a funny thing today.

I was giggling so hard I had tears running down my face on this one.

I was snuggling my baby hippo when I said he kind of looked like a donkey and hippo mixed together... Like a
Hippa Donka Donk.... and thats it. Hippo... Donkey... BaDonkaDonk..... I laughed till I cried and almost peed my pants. And the whole time, my baby hippo just quietly snuggled in my arms. My kid tried to tell me that, yeah that was pretty funny, but not laugh til you cry funny.... til he couldnt stop laughing at me, laughing at my silly joke.... and my adorable HippaDonkaDonk!

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is s cute name for a even cuter kid. Sure praying that he pulls through and does well for you.
I hope I didnt confuse everyone... the pic I posted last is Mirage, he is the new kid that isnt feeling well. Yesterday I only managed to get him to take a total of 10 oz of milk. Today I convinced him to take 14, but it wasnt easy. This evening after his injections of B complex and Banamine, he started hopping around the kitchen, dancing. We took him out to see some of the kids. He played for a few minutes and greeted the boer kid escapees through the fence for several minutes, before needing a nap. Tonight he got a second wind and went dancing around the kitchen again.

The Hippo child is my fat little boer kid that is all grey dapples. I may or may not have been heard singing the song, "I wanna a hippadonkadonk for christmas..." :lol:

I swear... I cant take me anywhere!!!!

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, update:

Yesterday Bailey my old lady boer herd queen delivered her kids during morning feed rounds. I think she is 9. She likes to give us trips so when we saw she was started with a kid on the ground already, we stuck around. She had the first kid, then passed 2 decomposing half grown feti, then threw out another healthy kid. So far her 2 are doing great, though we havent witnessed the red kid nurse. He seemed to not be too starving and his belly seemed full so I am hopeful that he does it when we arent there. One red, one red dappled both bucks.

This morning during feed rounds, my kid came running to get me for Voodoo kidding. She was pushing hard a couple different times so I got in to help her. She delivered a huge kid possibly as big as Delilahs 2 week old kids. She was taking her time, but seemed like she was working on the placenta, so we left her for a minute to get organized to finish morning milk/feed chores. She popped out another, same size as the first. Both bucks, black dappled.

In the middle of all this, Summer Love, nubian doe, tore her dewclaw, likely caught it in a fence. By the time we got to her and realized she was injured, the bleeding had stopped/clotted over the wound so rather that disturb it too much, I poured some iodine over it and added some neopred powder. Bandaged it up. Of course we will be keeping an eye on it. Poor girl!

Mirage took 8 oz at 4am, and another 8 at 10. He was wandering around the living room a few minutes ago, sleeping on my lap right now... but grinding his teeth. hopefully he starts to really feel better soon.

My mom is the best! I am afraid she is too busy to rent out..... sorry guys, I am afraid I could keep her busy all by myself if she didnt have a full enough life on her own! But she will happy to hear she is in high demand should she ever decide to do the "rent-a-mom" thing!

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Voodoo is one of my 3 "smaller" boer does. By smaller, I estimate she is around170-180 lbs. I expect Bailey, one of my biggest does to be in the 200 to 230 lb range. I would LOVE to get my hands on a scale to find out. I can get really close with estimating my small goats as we were able to weigh nigerians on a bathroom scale, so everything up to 80 lbs was easy. The biggest one we weighed was Beautiful Beast, the day I brought him home, at 103 lbs at 103 days old. By how heavy he was getting him into my truck, I knew we would never be able to pick him up again, so I helped my kid weigh him. If I do get a scale, Ill let yall know how far off my estimates were.

But yeah, her kids were basically born full grown! We were joking that they came out the size of a full grown bull, ready to take on the world and strut their stuff. They have really stocky heads, they are going to be beautiful breeding bucks for someone.

I almost..... thought I might want to keep one, as in I was contemplating who I could breed him to, when my kid reminded me that I am keeping my honkytonk Hippadonkadonk as well as my overabundance of nubian bucks. LOL!!! I just get so excited..... I might have said, very quietly, that I could just get another doe or 2 before I decided that maybe I should make some final decisions on my dairy herd, before expanding my boer herd, since the dairys are my favs. And I am already planning on definitely keeping 2, likely three, but i really want the fourth, and havent decided on the fifth of my gorgeous little does.... then I would have doubled my Nubian herd and that.... may not be the best financial decision!!! Having said that, I am also still waiting to hear about a doe kid I reservation I sent a deposit on 2 years ago..... didnt have my little doe kid born last year, so i rolled the deposit over to this kidding season.... so that will be one more doe to the herd too if she is born this year.

Decisions decisions!!!! What is a girl to do????? :th

Latest posts