Raw Old Fleece

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't knit but, love the thoughts of supplying your own yarn and read these posts in that vein. This is a real labor of love for those who do this. 🤗. I have cotton fields next to me and would not want the process it takes to make that into cloth. Wool fiber seems just as intimidating. 🤣

I'll read, cheer you on and be happy I can cut and sew fabric I bought!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m with @Mini Horses on this. I have hair sheep so I don’t have to shear. I don’t know how to spin, knit or crochet. Always had a nagging desire to learn, but so far have fought off that urge. Wool sheep are so cute though…….

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have had both wool and hair sheep. Since we had fleeces, my husband and I took a spinning class and the instructor had me bring in a raw fleece so we could practice working it. Originally, I thought I would do the skirting and cleaning, carding, etc. into roving myself but changed my mind after felting a fleece. I sent all of them to a professional so we could spin them.

However, although we learned to spin, I really didn't like it that well and ended up giving away all the processed fleeces to a friend's daughter. She was interested in learning to spin. Since we didn't want to spin, and no longer wanted to shear (getting old) we sold our Dorset flock and replaced them with purebred White Dorpers. Love our Dorpers.

If you are sincerely interested in spinning, weaving, etc., I suggest you start with a spinning class and purchase processed wool. One fleece will give you a huge amount of roving and yarn! (I gave away 10 processed fleeces.)

If you find you really like spinning, then consider getting a sheep breed with the type of wool you want to use. Not all fleece is terrific for all garments. Dorsets are a dual purpose breed. They produce a meaty carcass and a medium grade wool. Our Dorset wool was easy to spin, but is considered a wool for exterior garments and socks (heavier duty). Fine wool breeds produce finer softer wool with a higher crimp. These fine wools are used for lighter garments meant to be worn next to the skin.

Meat breeds usually don't have very good wool for spinning.

And remember you will need to buy a spinning wheel too. The idea of shearing your sheep, processing the fleeces, and spinning your own fiber is fun but is very time consuming. There is a reason why women rarely had jobs outside the home in the old days. It took all their time to cook, clean, can, garden, and make their family's clothes in the old days. No wonder our forebears were so delighted with new-fangled labor-saving devices, electricity, running water and indoor plumbing. :lol: