RE: Forum Rules, BYH Tone, Locked Topics, Freedom of Speech, Trolling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Umm elevan, I think you need some points there.

Rule # 8 - Bumping - Cross Posting

Description
No Bumping or Cross-posting topics. Bumping is posting to move a thread up on the forum list, and cross-posting is posting the same thread in several forums.
10 points

Na I'm messing :p

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
Moderating any community, group, congregation, association, company, fraternity, society, etc. is a VERY VERY tricky job!! In fact, scores of books are written with countless ideas and suggestions on how to best manage a bunch of people.

Here's the kicker: Managing people ONLINE is usually exponentially more challenging. This is because of a few main reasons:

1) Anonymity: It's a tested and proven fact that people often act differently when they are anonymous.
2) Loss of tonality and body language: Some studies say that up to 80% of communication is lost or misrepresented when you have text only. That means that me emailing my wife: "Hey, what are you wearing tonight?" Might be interpreted as "Hey, I hope you don't wear those jeans that make you look fat!" ;)

None of the moderators are professionally trained in managing communities, but that doesn't mean that they aren't qualified for their jobs... which are volunteer and often thankless... so thanks to those that take a moment to thank the moderators of any group, especially ours! Our moderators goals are uniform in that they want the community to grow, thrive, and be a place where people are free to communicate in a friendly and respectful way.

If it were up to us, we'd never get any reports of problems and never have to moderate anything. Unfortunately because of poor posting styles, miscommunication, thin skins, and knee-jerk reactions, we often get reports and sometimes have to make suggestion to members on how they can participate on the forum in a way that is in line with our rules.

So, thanks to those who work with us and understand that there is a lot that happens behind the scenes that may not be public info. We appreciate the members that try to see things from our perspective and work hand in hand with us to make this community the best place to discuss backyard herds of any type!!

:thumbsup

Status
Not open for further replies.