ready for winter.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
This little bunch of beefmasters is in good shape for our version of winter. Hope to keep them that way till spring green up gets here.

Picture1207170041_1 (2).jpg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Wow, look at that... pastures NOT under 4-6' of water. Looks like you got it cleaned up pretty well. Your cows look good. You never did let us know how your herd fared with the hurricane.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Covered with something else right now.
DSC00062.JPG

DSC00061.JPG

Hard to believe 3 months ago all that was under tons of water. 3 days ago, youngest son was here and he & I were catching bass in the ponds..we were in short sleeve shirts. What the heck else is going to go wrong this year....zombies..asteroid impact?
I'll be glad when 2017 is over and GONE!

Herd:
Lost 5 altogether. 4 the day of the flood, (2 Chars and 2 Beefmasters) and another a Char a little over a week afterwards from respiratory failure. Vet said from water in the lungs. I needed to downsize for winter anyway..........:(

Last edited:

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Covered with something else right now.
View attachment 41012
View attachment 41013

Hard to believe 3 months ago all that was under tons of water. 3 days ago, youngest son was here and he & I were catching bass in the ponds..we were in short sleeve shirts. What the heck else is going to go wrong this year....zombies..asteroid impact?
I'll be glad when 2017 is over and GONE!

Herd:
Lost 5 altogether. 4 the day of the flood, (2 Chars and 2 Beefmasters) and another a Char a little over a week afterwards from respiratory failure. Vet said from water in the lungs. I needed to downsize for winter anyway..........:(
OH MY GOSH, IT IS RAINING HERE AND 48.

Sad way to lose cattle that way.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
24 degrees here this morning. But we didn't get any snow.

Beautiful cattle GB. Considering what they have been through, they are in exceptional shape. They are showing your good care.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the cattle loss... not the way you wanted/anticipated downsizing I'm sure. Pretty hefty $$ loss along with everything else. But you did get out and lived... that's a positive.

Isn't that crazy? you're getting snow down near Houston! As Bay said, right at 24°f here. No wind and I just came back in from feeding the animals and was out there for ~1/2 hour with a turtleneck and flannel, lined shirt jacket. Air is dry so doesn't feel as cold as it is. I'm using just the wood stove to heat the house right now. Have the heat pump turned off. When I got up this morning it was still warm enough in here that I was walking around in just shorts. Gonna need to go cut up some blow down tomorrow though to restock the wood pile.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hope you had insurance on the animals that the hurricane killed. The rest look good, but the light colored one in the middle could use some extra groceries. Here's hoping 2018 is a better year for you and yours. Merry Christmas!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope you had insurance on the animals that the hurricane killed. The rest look good, but the light colored one in the middle could use some extra groceries. Here's hoping 2018 is a better year for you and yours. Merry Christmas!

Yep, yearling bull that has been chasing the Char females for the last month and tussling with a much bigger/older Char bull, but he is in better shape than the picture shows...he's just squashed in some between the others.
(My neighbor wants him, supposed to come get him any day :rolleyes:which is why I have him up near the pen.)

Latest posts