ReluctantFarmer Journal

ReluctantFarmer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
0D3A5683-3583-488F-82FB-2F4FE89CED2E.jpeg
802C3626-E16E-4285-B6CA-C69AC5A321D0.jpeg
47EB8A20-BA6C-48A7-9717-9907952F7AAE.jpeg

Our 3rd calf of 2019. Another healthy girl from older cow. We have been so blessed this calving season to not have any issues. Two more to go from our heifers. Fingers crossed

Last edited:

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
A
What a lovely group you have there! :love Calves are so cute -- as are most young animals. Only thing with most goats is that they are usually tamer so the kids can be picked up & cuddled! Nothing more fun than hugging the babies. Cows are not generally so accommodating :D

at 66 i can cuddle and walk with a armfull of goat kids....a calf would probably do me in,....but they sure are cute :lol:

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
congrats on the new babies. and yup its kind of hard to cuddle a calf, either they or their mama object. I love driving down the road and seeing the calf nurseries. one mama stands guard and the rest go about their business. makes me smile

Funny you just said that, just came in from outside and neighbors cows and calfs are at my fence....so sweet to look out and see all the calfs, cows, pigs, chickens, rabbits, donkeys, and goats around us....this is my paradise

ReluctantFarmer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What a lovely group you have there! :love Calves are so cute -- as are most young animals. Only thing with most goats is that they are usually tamer so the kids can be picked up & cuddled! Nothing more fun than hugging the babies. Cows are not generally so accommodating :D

Haha, yeah we usually don’t hug ours. Except two winters ago when a calf got out and was running down the road, I had to jump out of the truck and tackle it. I laid there in the ditch hugging it tightly until Dad got there. I’m sure it looked funny with my Dad driving, me riding shotgun and the calf between us riding on the bench seat the whole way home!

ReluctantFarmer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So we had another calf three days ago from one of our two pregnant heifers. She had no apparent problems and we have a healthy hungry girl (first pic). I was headed back to the house from the top pasture, and I notice the other heifer off by herself headed towards the woods. I looked where she was headed, lo and behold we had another calf! Both heifers had no problems Praise the Lord!!!

Unless the vet misdiagnosed, we are done with spring calving! I’m fairly certain we have 4 girls and 1 boy all born within a four week span.

04EA2191-DE0B-4780-8B89-F5F546AA784E.jpeg

EC8BF3ED-BB67-473C-96CD-BAACD85D8F47.jpeg