Remuda1-Haps and Mishaps at KB Farms - Poor little Lambies ;)

greenbean

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They're so cute!! :love The picture that says smile made me laugh.

Remuda1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, just glad they are relaxing now. A little later on, it will be rodeo time. Need to band tails, worm new moms and the five older lambs. Reaaaallllyyy need to put ear tags in the registerable lambs too but I went out there and examined their little ears and I just can't do it right now, lol! I've never tagged before and it just seems like there's so little room under the vein (which is where I want them), plus they're getting their tails banded too...... I just can't bring myself to do it!!!

So weird....... I'm totally not squeamish about really gorey stuff, but I can't bring myself to pierce a lambs ear :rolleyes: ......such a baa aaa aaad shepherd.

Maybe I will submit "smiley" for POW. LOL, that would tickle me if she got picked.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Remuda1 said:
Well, just glad they are relaxing now. A little later on, it will be rodeo time. Need to band tails, worm new moms and the five older lambs. Reaaaallllyyy need to put ear tags in the registerable lambs too but I went out there and examined their little ears and I just can't do it right now, lol! I've never tagged before and it just seems like there's so little room under the vein (which is where I want them), plus they're getting their tails banded too...... I just can't bring myself to do it!!!

So weird....... I'm totally not squeamish about really gorey stuff, but I can't bring myself to pierce a lambs ear :rolleyes: ......such a baa aaa aaad shepherd.
You just have to do it. Each lamb gets easier. :D My babies are docked and tagged within the first 3 days of birth.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Can you leave a Dorpers tail on without penalty. Do you have to cut them off.
Your lambs are sure nice looking.

Remuda1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Alsea..... This is a subject kind of near to my heart. Dorpers don't need to be docked to live great, healthy lives. However, if you are going into the show ring, as things stand now *I* think you would be at a huge disadvantage having a long tailed animal. Also when selling as breeding stock, it seems that customers are kind of turned off by long tails. I will always only sell to the auction as a last resort so I dock. If a lamb is not something that I would want to have in my flock, they will go to market. At that point, I would not dock tails. If I were breeding solely for the sale barn, I would not dock tails. I am really hoping that show standards and preferences come around to the natural look of an undocked Dorper but I think that's going to be a very uphill battle. It comes back to what tends to happen in the breeding arena to any animal that is shown...... some breeders end up breeding for the judges and other breeders breed to the true standard.

Editted to add: I do have a long tailed wether in my flock now. He will be with me forever, lol :).

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So we must target the judges. I understand that wool breeds it is nec. for hygenic and health reasons. But if there is only a cosmetic reason it just seems mean. Besides a tail to cover your hind end when your rear is facing the wind would be a nice thing to have I'm thinking. LOL

Latest posts