1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Meet Pearl, New Horse - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Retirees, Social security, Medicare

Discussion in 'Me, My Herd, My Family' started by farmerjan, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Oct 26, 2018
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Loving the herd life

Bruce if that was pertaining to my comment that i posted above, it was due to the fact that his cancer treatment costs were crazy high, after we did what his agent told us to do, the drs, hospitals changed and lowered the bills to medicare standard payments....and the hospital wrote the rest off. Although its been quite some years, my credit score has only gone up, so no credit issues for doing it that way, at least in the situation that ex and i were in at that time....

Senile_Texas_Aggie likes this.
  2. Oct 26, 2018
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master Golden Herd Member

No, I don't do that. I just pay the bill even if it meant I would have to sell off something, liquidate something or as last resort, make monthly payments till the full balance is paid off.
    It is, what I agreed to do when I walked in their door and signed the financial responsibility form.

I have seen some good regional medical centers shut their doors because so many people just said "Screw it--they got plenty of $$...I ain't paying it".

3. Oct 27, 2018
    animalmom

animalmom Herd Master

When a Doctor or Hospital agrees to accept Medicare then that is what they are paid. The Dr or Hospital can bill you for the deductible or the difference between what Medicare allows and what Medicare pays, but the Dr or Hospital can not come to you for the difference between what they billed and what Medicare allows. This is the portion they "write off".

So if the hospital bill was 1000.00 and Medicare allows 800 and pays 700 of the 800 then the hospital can only bill for the 100 difference, not the difference between what they billed and what Medicate allows.

4. Oct 27, 2018
    farmerjan

farmerjan True BYH Addict

@Mike CHS ; am interested in the Life Flight ins you mentioned. Who/where did you get it? It seems to be a good deal at a very reasonable cost and I do not see where it is a covered expense in what I have been looking at. I think that I would want to carry that just in case. My biggest thoughts are for any kind of accident that I might be in on the farm, or even an auto accident... know several who have been life flighted to hospitals.
    I am going to be talking to the lady who does our ins at work and has given me advice in the past. I went to a seminar that was given for seniors and they seemed to suggest that Plan F would cost more as the years went on due to a smaller base once it is no longer available. So, maybe the thing to do is to get it now and then switch in a few years as is allowed when you can do so with no penalties? One question I will be asking.

5. Oct 27, 2018
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Medicare allows some exceptions to that. Among them is Medicare's 2 Midnight Rule.
    If a member is transferring temporarily from skilled nursing to a hospital, the the Three Day Rule also applies.

6. Oct 27, 2018
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master Golden Herd Member

There is more than one company and you can buy from them direct but we got a discount going through our Insurance with Farm Bureau. The link I'm pasting might be some help to you. We have a small regional hospital for most things but any major trauma event is going to require going a minimum of an hour away by vehicle. In our area the EMS folks automatically look for a decal or the card that you are told to have next to your license.

https://www.airmedcarenetwork.com/