Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know that I am a wimp about surgery. The thought of getting my knee cut out and replaced with a mechanical thing scares me. Already have a pin in my lower spine, and one in my shoulder. Needed those to walk and lift the arm. At least I am still able to walk on this knee. I'm anxious to see what the hip x-ray shows since it aches when the knee does. :hide:old

Got the garlands in the family room up yesterday over the 3 windows, the other garland on the bookcases up with the Santa sleigh and deer, and the wreath in the middle of the big window. Also the timer lighted snowmen on the table. This morning I got the garland over the LR window up with that wreath. Also the decos in the hallway set out. Next I have to put together the wooden reindeer boxes my mother made. I set fake white pointsettias in them with twinkle lights on either side of the fireplace. Asked DD1 if she wanted them for her fireplace. If she does, I will pack them for her after Christmas. Sad to see them go but too many decos to take to Texas. Also takes me almost a week to put up all the decos including tree and Nativity set. Maybe time to cut back? We do enjoy the lighted garlands when they are up, and the house always seems so bare and empty when they come down but not getting any younger and my grandchildren are much younger than I was when I helped my Gammy with hers. No help there except DS1 has the older boys help with the outside lights. I will wait for a while to put up the tree since the baby jail takes up a lot of the space. I am putting up the decos today and yesterday because baby Annabel is not here. Put away the baby jail to be able to move around. Taking my time on the ladder interspersed with rests.

DGS2 and DGD1 said they want to help bake Christmas cookies. Made the mistake of asking if they wanted to help me. Mistake since it always takes much longer with others. I am not a patient person in teaching mode. Oh well, they need to learn how, and DGS2 likes to cook and bake.

Update on sheep. No ewes ready to lamb yet. Watching udders closely. Snowflake is growing a very pretty little udder. I am glad she got bred although never noticed a mark on her. She is also a perfectly clean shed ewe. Hope she does not have trouble lambing. There are several other home bred ewes and ewe lambs out there that are clean shed. Last night we turned one of the pregnant ewes back onto the field. Her abscess has healed nicely. 3 more I am still watching to drain.

DH got rammed in the belly today by Lewis when feeding. I constantly warn the guys not to trust rams! They always poo poo me. :rolleyes: Good thing DH is not terribly tall. Just a few inches taller and major catastrophe! As it was DH said Lewis came at him so fast he couldn't avoid getting hit! Hopefully his armload of hay helped to cushion the blow! Apparently Lewis does not want to share his ewes with ANYONE!!! Lewis bred 2 yesterday.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have 3 ewes that are heavy bred, make that 4. Two are starting to bag up. I was trying for lambs to take to auction in January-February. I might make the tail end of February. At any rate, lambs will be ready for auction before I move.

Christmas decorating. I haven’t done that in a long time. Holidays have been at my sister’s house for years.

Yes, you need to conquer your fear. Sounds like that knee is causing trouble for you, more than just the knee! Take care of DH first, then you must take care of yourself.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just saw the report on the hip x-ray. No change in amount of hip arthritis, BUT "worsening of L3 disc condition". Had surgery on L4 & L5 some years ago. Hope this doesn't mean that the problem is moving up my spine! That back surgery was the most painful thing I have ever had, including the 2 surgeries on my shoulder!

8174 lambed in the barn this am. Single ram lamb 8.1 lbs. She was due last Wednesday. Time to bring in the others I guess. Considering sending all current 2-3 month old lambs to auction next week since prices are good. If truck is back. :rant

Realized I have to sew up special Christmas stockings for the new babies and Maysie! I guess I didn't do one for her before this. I applique their names on them and do a lot of beading, etc. (Elizabeth returned hers to me last Christmas with a request for more fancy beads to be applied.) LOL The boys' stockings have cording at the seam, but the girls' stockings have lace. DS2 has asked for Robert's stocking to have a dragon on it. Showed him the prototype drawing and he said it looked like a lizard! :smack I pointed out that the wings would be gold and separately stitched on so they could stick up and flap. He approved that notion and I quickly removed the stocking before he could make any further complaints. Soon I will be too old to do this sort of thing. I am cutting out 2 additional stockings to have them ready for any future grandchildren. Unfortunately I can't applique any names until after they are born, but this year I will buy some beaded Christmas appliques so I will be able to make the stockings in another year or two and just apply those machine made appliques. Luckily I don't have arthritis in my hands yet like my mother did at this age.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
So what are your feelings on knee surgery? And I'm sure you will keep a close eye on the L3 disc!

I am in admiration of the Christmas stockings that you are making. I have 3 sewing machines, plus a commercial sewing machine that I haven't used in a long time. I guess I need to get one out and actually make something.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, Christmas stockings with their names appliqued on them and also Christmassy appliques - snowmen, candy canes, Christmas trees, etc. Then I embroidered the snowmen's features and added sequins and beading to the names and appliques. Finished them off with gold braid around the top. Flashy but to my grandchildren "soo beeyootiful"! Robert's stocking has a dragon on it wrapping itself around the stocking and with flames shooting our of his mouth. This was requested by his father, DS2. The dragon has green sequin and gold bead scales all over his body. At least it is a green dragon on a red stocking! LOL

Took me a week to do the appliques and beading before I was able to attach the lining and finish off the hand stitching of the gold braid. Can anyone say "BACKACHE"?!

Got out truck back just in time to take the trailer to Nipomo for the giant Thanksgiving family rout. DD2 said that she was warned about all the time she had to take off with the brother-in-law dying and the 4 year old being sick so she offered to work Thanksgiving am until noon. Now her husband doesn't want to make the 3 hour drive to Nipomo because he says it will be too much traffic. She was willing to drive it alone and let him come on ahead with other family members, but he didn't want to. So her dad called him and told him about the back way which is a little longer but much quicker since no traffic at all. Also no towns, gas stations or anything just empty hills. Pretty, but make sure you have a full tank.

Bad news from Texas. The cattle tenant texted yesterday that Mrs. MacDonald, from whom we bought our ranch, had passed away Thursday night. Quite a shock so I called to ask about sending flowers and Marlin called me this morning. He said that about 5 weeks ago she had a memory loss and they took her to the hospital where they discovered that she had a rare fast growing brain tumor! She was fine up to 3 days ago when she went into a coma at home and then passed away with no pain. Such a shock since she was just so sweet and sprightly. I had talked to her a couple months ago and she was fine and enjoying her new house in Sulphur Springs. She was a lovely person and really fun to talk to. I was looking forward to visiting her in January. So sad but with cancer she was lucky not to have any pain.

More bad news on that front, my dear "Mom" told me yesterday that her doctor told her that she is failing rapidly and it is only a matter of a few more weeks for her. She is too weak to hold the phone. Even though she kept warning me that she was getting worse I did not want to believe her. DH and I will be spending this weekend sleeping over at her house to give her son Mitch some time off. Mitch is trying to find someone to stay with her full time but although Mitch found someone they can't start until Monday. I told him that we could do it anytime. She can't stay alone and is so weak that she can't use the tube feeding apparatus on her own.

I guess we are getting to the age when we will start losing friends as a matter of course. :old:hit Old age - bad!

Anyway, got the Christmas decorations all up in the house and the boxes all returned to the shed. Only the tree to do now but not until after Thanksgiving. I am coming home on Friday am after Thanksgiving. We are planning out the logistics of cars. I want DS1 to have fun with his brothers, and if DH wants to go shooting with them too he should also stay up there. I will come home and feed livestock so they can enjoy themselves. That way I get a start on my Christmas baking without having to stop and feed anyone. ;)
So annoying that they all seem to think they should eat meals when I have a lot of work to do! :lol:

I might have a couple ewes kidding over Thanksgiving too. I just realized that 3 ewes who I had written down as lambing in late October/early November are actually due in February so that clears up that problem. I wondered why I had so many due this month. So instead of 10 due I have 6 due sometime this month. :th:oops: Whew!

Big week before Thanksgiving. I have to clean out the trailer for Nipomo before Wednesday. On Monday am I have to meet DD1 at Hobby Lobby to get her Christmas decos lined out. She has none and had decided to buy some this year. She is doing Christmas again this year (my decision - so much less work for me :weee) and has decided she needs to decorate. Good idea since all her decorations are old left overs from me and not many of those. Her eldest is 14, so her kids can put them up for her each year. I have a bunch of stuff we can use on garlands, etc. So Monday is shot, Tuesday back out with DD1 to Ross since I have a Senior discount in Tuesdays. I also have to get a bathmat for the family bathroom. I will be looking for a couple of things for Maysie. DD1, DSIL1, and DDIL2. Not much since I have a couple things for them already. Wednesday the trailer has to go to Nipomo so need to be packed. I better remember to put the electric heater in it too. It gets cold up there.

We also need to pick up the pies from Costco on Wednesday am. I got lazy and decided not to bake for this Thanksgiving. I will bake for Christmas though, both pies and cookies. Next year I think I will make fruitcake. Not the kind you get in the store! :sickMostly glaceed fruit, almonds, and pecans, held together by liquor infused batter and then soaked in more liquor. :droolSuper rich, and you almost get drunk if you eat more than 3 slices. My grandmother's recipe. You make it around Halloween because it has to age - every month you have to add liquor to the cheesecloth you wrap it in. I keep it in the freezer and take it out to reapply more liquor. I used to make it every year for my grandmother, mother, aunt, and uncles but they are all dead now so haven't made it very often since. I think you acquire a taste for it as you get older. When I was a child I didn't like it, probably because of the liquor. Now I love it but it is expensive and difficult to make - all that heavy mixing.

Got to get my things together to go over to "Mom's". I am taking my sheep records to work on them. I want to cross file all my homebred ewes by dams and sires.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EVERYONE!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would love to see a picture of the dragon stocking! I bet it is beautiful!

That is so sad about Mrs. MacDonald, but at least she was not in pain and agony. She also got to enjoy her new house, even if it was a short time. She was such a nice lady, a delight to visit with.

So sorry about your friend , your second Mom. It is good of you and your husband to go stay with her. True friends do exactly what y’all are doing-being there when she needs help so badly.

Thanksgiving that you don’t have to cook. Getting smart in your old age, aren’t you? LOL LOL

Want my homemade eggnog recipe? It’s my great grandmother’s recipe. She made it Christmas morning and everyone drank it-even the children. My Mom remembered having eggnog Christmas morning as a little child. Then my grandmother made the eggnog and I remember getting sh!t faced on eggnog as a little kid with full approval from my normally non drinking parents. Then I made the eggnog. Full strength it will blow a non drinker’s head off, I make it at half strength. LOL

MamaWall’s Eggnog

12 shots bourbon
12 eggs, separated
12 heaping tablespoons sugar
1 pint whipping cream
A little milk

Beat egg whites until stiff
Beat whipping cream until stiff
Beat egg yolks. Add sugar, beating yolks as you add sugar. While beating yolk mixture, slowly add bourbon, 1 shot at a time. If you just dump it in, the yolks will curdle.

Fold in whipping cream
Fold in egg whites.
Serve in cups with nutmeg or cinnamon on top

I use half the bourbon. Full strength is too strong for me!

@Bruce likes Mama Wall’s Eggnog!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep! And I can't imagine it full strength! It is a fair bit of work, and bowls, but is tasty. It will separate out in the refrigerator (assuming you've made it for a small number of people and have some left) but mixes back up for an even more smooth flavor.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep! And I can't imagine it full strength! It is a fair bit of work, and bowls, but is tasty. It will separate out in the refrigerator (assuming you've made it for a small number of people and have some left) but mixes back up for an even more smooth flavor.
I just jumped up and went and made a 4 egg batch. It is so foamy and good, I ate a cup full with a spoon, got a quart jar in the refrigerator. LOL