Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
DO NOT REMAIN AWAKE WITH JUST A SPINAL!
I was talking to my neighbor who had her knee done last year and she had the spinal anesthetic. She said she was awake during the surgery and while she didn't feel any pain, she could hear everything. She could hear them sawing the bones and then knocking in the spike that holds the lower portion of the new knee in the lower leg bone. She said it sounded like house construction! Just the description made me want to pass out! Go to sleep and when you wake up it is all over! :sick

Having gone through this I am readying a care package for Baymule now. She will need extra refreezable ice packs, and a wedge pillow to rest her leg on ("toes above the nose") when she goes home from rehab. In rehab she will need a bedjacket (some of those places keep the AC super cold to prevent germs, and possibly a clip-on battery-operated fan for her bed (in case the nursing home keeps the temp too warm). I have another month to get well and firmly back on my leg then I will start collecting the emergency supplies! LOL Oh yes, and a bicycle basket for her walker to transport the ice packs from the freezer to her bed and her elevated knee pillow. It is very hard to carry stuff in one hand when you need both hands on the walker. I try to keep a large plastic grocery bag with handles to carry stuff back and forth.

Yesterday I was up at the computer for about 4 hours with a car trip to go vote and my leg swelled up like a balloon! I couldn't do any exercises because it was so swollen I couldn't bend the knee! :oops::eek: Better this morning but still slightly swollen and I am trying to intersperse computer time with leg in the air time and ice packs. Bed is boring but better than the swelling.

Three of the ewes in the breeding pen have marked. DS1 says I need to redo the breeding and lambing board since it is out of date now and we have to add the 14 ewes we just moved into the breeding pen. I will have to find time to get that erased and rewritten with lambing dates from last bred ewes, and breeding dates for new batch of ewes.

Talked to a Dorper breeder in Tennessee who said his grass is over knee high from the rains. Asked him about Barber Pole and he said his first year he thought he would have to quit, but then he started testing and culling heavily and now his flock is pretty resistant. He only worms once or twice a year now with no BP problems. He also said that prices last Easter were about $4/lb on his fall lambs. He said this was the first year he didn't keep any ram lambs since the weaned market price was almost what he would sell a registered lamb for after adjusting for feeding to 12 months! With a 3 month breed back he made more selling them at 3-4 months for meat! :)

We are having the flock inspected and graded this year. Luckily the scheduling family had to change our dates since originally we were scheduled to pick up the inspector June 4. I did not even see the email until June 6! However, they had to put it off to July 5-7 which is perfect for me to be on my feet and get ready to house and feed the inspector for 2-3 days. No shearing or hoof trimming required since they want to judge them in their natural state with little or no upkeep. The amount of wool cover and shed is also taken into consideration. The only work needed is that all the sheep that have lost tags and been retagged must get another tag with the original registration #. We just slap in another tag and change the tag numbers in our files. Naturally the tags need to match the registration papers so I am ordering some blank tags and a marking pen. The inspector will only do inspections on registered animals over 10 months old. But the inspector will also look at young stock and give opinions. I am really looking forward to the inspection and learning a lot from the inspector while she is at our house. She is a licensed Dorper judge and evaluator from South Africa.

Then I found an email telling me that the West Coast Dorper sale would take place on the weekend before I found the email! No bidding and buying for me this year! :hit I wanted another ram and planned to sell one or two of my rams. I have a lot of youngsters out of 3 of my rams and was considering buying another. I guess I will have to wait till next year. Actually, the West Coast Dorper Society is thinking about moving the show back to northern California next year so we will g and maybe I can pick up another ram cheaply. Lots of rams at the show and sale that go reasonably, while ewes go a lot higher. While doing my knee exercises, I will practice my split second timing with the auction bidding card. :gigI could go to the West Coast Dorper show in Reno in July, but I'm having the flock inspection and in the heat don't want to drive 10-12 hours to Reno. I can wait.

OK back to bed and the "toes above the nose" position for another couple hours. I can feel my knee swelling!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need a laptop! Then you could have it in bed with your toes above your nose!
A care package! That's just what I need when I get home from rehab! Ouch! Your swollen knee didn't like the 4 hours in the car! Hope the swelling is down now.

That is exciting on the inspector coming to evaluate your sheep! I know you can't wait for that!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Going to add books to your care package. There is only so much you can do laying in bed in the nursing home. Especially when you have to keep your foot higher than your head to control swelling!

DH has arranged for several companies to come and give us a bid on putting astroturf on the dirt area where we had the "container garden" last year. What a waste that was! The dogs now dig in the dirt to make comfy "beds" and scatter the dirt all over the walkways, etc. Combined with our field that is also all dirt, the dirt blows into the house and keeps it dusty and gritty. Hopefully by putting astroturf on the dirt area between the driveway and house, we can control the dirt a bit. The overhang would make a pleasant sitting area on the patio if it wasn't for the dirt. If it doesn't cost too much we will have it installed. There is supposed to be a $3.00 rebate per square foot from the water company but last time they wouldn't do it without inspecting first, etc. We will have to see how much it costs. It is only about 30' x 30' but will make the entire driveway and barn area look so much cleaner and prettier. It will be worth being able to sit outside on the eastside of the house in the afternoon and evening.

My knee finally returned to its normal swollen size and I have been exercising it a lot in smaller doses. I got some new exercises from PT that I have been doing - going up on tiptoe, and standing on one foot at a time. I am also working on forcing my knee to bend tighter by using one of the elastic exercise bands to pull my foot up to my thigh.
OUCH! :oops::hit But it needs to be done to get the movement back in my knee. The normal pain level except when exercising isn't bad and I only need the heavy drugs (oxy) for PT and after heavy exercising. I found my cane so will try to be on it next week for PT. I don't feel as secure on just the cane but am trying it around the house. I can put all my weight on my new knee now though so that is good. I still can't spend much time sitting or the knee swells up so closing off now.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is sounding good! Of course I’m watching your progress with great interest, heading there soon myself.

Yeah, I’ll need books. Anything to occupy my time. I don’t do “down” very well. Like @farmerjan I’ll go to rehab for 2 weeks. Not looking forward to that!

Leaving this morning for Corpus Christi to spend time with my granddaughters. DD and husband are leaving when I get there. LOL I’ll be back Thursday. Chris will be working on son’s house while I’m gone. Supposed to close on farm a week from today.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
We will have to see how much it costs. It is only about 30' x 30' but will make the entire driveway and barn area look so much cleaner and prettier. It will be worth being able to sit outside on the eastside of the house in the afternoon and evening.
In my area, I see rolls and rolls of used astroturf on FB marketplace. From what I understand, too worn for professional football field is still good enough for homeowner's use. Something to consider?

Glad the surgery went well and recovery is proceeding a pace. :)

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH arranged to put in artificial turf in the yard between the barn, driveway, and house. That is the area where we lost the tree several years ago, and the site of our so called "container vegetable garden" aka "Ground Squirrel Buffet". It should keep the house cleaner, and make the yard look very nice. One more item to cross off the "Beautify the house list". This company will install the turf we are getting from DS3 for the old pool area as well. They will instal "gopher mesh" under the artificial grass to prevent gopher tunnels and holes up through the artificial turf. Apparently, the gophers (and ground squirrels) can chew up through the base of the "grass" and make holes in the "lawn". It will look very nice when it is done.

I am having a lot of pain when I do the knee exercises. The tape that was glued to the wound to help glue the skin together has almost all fallen off. (The instructions said it would come off in 1-2 weeks but it has taken more than 2-3 weeks. Only one small patch left to go. The scar site is sore to the touch. The healed cut feels like the skin is pulling open each time I bend my knee. Painful. DH is pleased with the amount of bend I have in the knee and says I am doing very well. I have been doing bending and straightening exercises all morning and took an Oxy for the pain. Healing is super boring!!!

Got my blank ear tags today so as soon as I get the special marker. I had to order it from another source since Premier was sold out of the black markers. I can start filling them out once the markers arrive. I will need to go through my registration book to find the sheep that have lost tags and mark the new tags for replacement. At least now whenever a sheep loses a tag, I will be able to replace it with the same number instead of using a new numbered tag.

I still have to send in my Jeffers medical order. I need to order 2 boxes of 100 syringes. I go through them fast since it takes 1 syringe of CDT for every ewe that lambs, 2 for CDT for each lamb a month apart, plus an extra one for the Tetanus Antitoxin for the ewe lambs for docking. I also have to order another Tetanus Antitox and Jeffers doesn't carry it. :mad:

Trying to get everything I need before 2023 when the USDA stops us being able to order meds for our livestock. Finding a vet who will let you order meds to keep on hand is difficult.

Latest posts