Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
BTW, the gasketed screws go into the deck, not the overlapping ridges. Saw that on a YouTube video done by a roofing company.

No lap screws?
They are made differently in their thread pitch specifically for lap joints...and of course, are shorter. The thread pitch continues all the way to the underside of the screw head instead of stopping just short and leaving a recess with no thread. We used them on all laps and especially out on the overhangs when I worked putting up metal buildings. You have to be careful not to overtighten lap screws.
Sometimes called seam or stitch screws.
The only place I've never seen lap screws used, was on walls where the corrugation ran up & down---vertically. If the panel was put on with corrugations running horizontally, we used lap screws.

lapscrew.jpg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Different kind of metal roof panels I guess. Flat wide section, then flat topped "hump" then more flat section, etc ending in a hump. Like this:
metal-sales-metal-roofing-hd2312139-64_1000.jpg

It does seem like one would want a tight joint where the panels overlap, and that would mean screwing through the overlap but that is not what this guys said to do. Don't recall where I found the video it was a couple of years ago.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's one of several versions of a profile called R panel and was what we were putting up.

Perhaps he meant not to use screws on top of the humped part all across the rest of the sheet?

Many years ago, it was common to use the screws on the raised part of both R and corrugated and not down on the flats, because there was less likelihood of water building up on the higher part and getting in around the screw heads. But, too many people were over-tightening the screws and deforming the profile--partially flattening out the raised portions, which caused the flat portions to move or try to bunch up. With better sealing washers now, everyone screws R panel down at the flats but uses the short lap screws on the lap. The lap screws don't go all the way down into the wood or steel purlins or decking. They are just to keep the sheets from separating at the lap.

Last edited:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
So there will be cabinets and boxes labeled "I don't know what these are" and he is supposed to know what things you don't know what they are so he looks in the appropriate place? ;)
:lol:

No, problem there! DH just stands in the middle of the tool shed and yells "Honey" what did you do with the hammer, - I I know I left it right here!" The labels are for me so I can immediately fetch the tool or yell back "Look in the drawer labeled "hammer"! Also for DS1 who actually bothers to read the labels and replaces the tools! DH is a wonderful husband, father, son, and friend, but is rather bad about replacing tools. Knew where everything ws on hi work truck though :hune summer when getting the Doughboy pool up and running, he needed his pipe wrenches (Stilson for you purists) which he insisted he had returned to his tool chest. Finally, after he had accused our 3 sons, ranging in age from 4 to 11, and myself of willfully losing all his pipe wrenches, I asked him when he last used them. He told me "Last fall when I worked on the pool pump. I found the wrenches under the bushes by the pool pump where he had left them since working on the pump 4 months before! Enough said!

I will mention metal roof panels to DH. We used them 40 years ago on our first tiny rabbit barn and they were incredibly easy to install. Interesting about the screws, will have to watch DIY video before doing the metal roof panels is we go this way. Missed 2 calls from the roofer since my ringer was turned off. I carried it around for 2 days waiting for his call! DUH! :oops:

The Santa Ana winds are back, and another fire has broken out on the overpass into Simi Valley to the northwest of us. That freeway is now closed. The Santa Anas are still driving the fires into homes. The entire town of Paradise was destroyed, 35 dead, the fires came in so strong with the wind behind them that many people died as they tried to get out. DS2 is working in that area repairing damage from last winter's fires and subsequent flooding. Soon he will be repairing the current damage. DS3 is already working repairing power lines in the wake of the Woolsey fire. The last couple years have been terrible fire seasons for California.

Got to check on my sheep. We kept them in the night fold today because of the winds. They huddle inside their shelter when it blows and as soon as it gets calm they all come out and enjoy the sun. The Dorsets are due in 2 weeks and looks like one is bagging now. Going to spread the straw in the new lambing pens now, then will move the Dorper ewes inside the barn tonight. The Dorsets can stay out for another week or so.

I sorted the sockets onto rack I got at Lowes but went to put it I the drawer and the deep sockets are too tall to stand in the drawer. Found a deeper drawer but it is too narrow for the holder! So I guess I will buy a different holder for the deep sockets. :somad

Really getting sick and tired of the Tool/Workshop. Also getting sick and tired of labeling and re-labeling everything. Also getting sick and tired of these winds! Apparently I am feeling sick and tired. Is that called "pulling a Biden"? :gig

Attachments

• IMG_4049.jpg
    IMG_4049.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 48

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh heck no, you need a new tool box with deeper and taller drawers! :hide

:yuckyuck NOT!

Bad Bruce - No cookie! And I thought we were friends! :(

I realize (now that I have cleared a path to them) that I have 4 other drawers in my wooden base cabinets and they are EMPTY! I measured and the large holder that is 19" long will fit in those drawers front to back. The drawers are deeper too. So, tomorrow I will take the socket holders back down and try them in those drawers. If they fit I will have won the Socket War and be able to turn my attention to - DRILL BITS!

DH has about 50 drill bits that are 12" to 18" long. All different sizes from small circumference to over an inch. Many of them are rusty. Why are they still there? Why did we have them in the first place? These are obviously philosophical questions that will never be answered.

Tomorrow I will bring them to DH to sort through and decide which ones he wants or needs (2 separate things in my opinion). I also need to find or buy a drill bit gauge and start sorting the hundreds of regular size drill bits . I think I will make it easy on myself and just send any rusty ones to join their inferior socket brothers in the discard bucket! That should eliminate half of them.

DS1 and I have our own drill bits that we have purchased for different purposes and which we keep in their own holders in the special drill bit box. Same with the driver bits. In addition, I found several sets of drill bits still in new packages, and some older bits in their cases, that were Daddy's .

Again, we face the philosophical question of the universe - why so many duplicate drill bits! Of course, one must always have a few spare bits. They break after all, usually when drilling pilot holes in old wood when you don't have a spare. But again 25 bits in size 15/64???? By the time I have finished with this Tool/workshop I will need heavy counseling, a long sea cruise, and intervention. If I had known the scope of the job, I would have thrown everything away and started over. WAIT, THAT WOULD HAVE ENTAILED ANOTHER SOCKET KIT IN ONE OF THOSE PLASTIC CASES BELOVED BY GREYBEARD! :hit NOOOOO!

I just found DH's second favorite tool - a pair of channel locks pliers - sitting on the driveway fence! This is the tool that he was using yesterday when we tore apart the old rotted goat feeder from the lower pen. He swore a might oath to DS1 that he would put it back. Sigh . . .
IMG_4058.jpg He might not get a key to the Tool/workshop!

DH, DS1 and I sorted the sheep tonight into the lambing pens. The 2 Dorset ewes are in one pen and the 2 Dorper ewes are in the other. The 3rd pen is the lamb creep. Each pen is 5' x 10'. After they lamb, we will remove the divider between the ewe pens and make the creep 5' wider. The pen on the right is the creep. I have not bothered to scatter the straw yet since it will not be used until after they lamb.
IMG_4051.jpg IMG_4052.jpg IMG_4056.jpg
The dogs recognize lambing pens and are starting to get excited. They love lambing! Bubba loves the lambs a little too much and would steal the lambs if I let him. This year will be his 3rd lambing season and I will again work him on a leash with the lambs and ewes. He is older now so I hope he has matured enough to follow proper Anatolian LGD behavior. Lay down and be submissive to the ewe. Wait to approach the lamb until mom allows it. Do not try to bite off her face if she butts you for approaching the lambs. Work in progress. Rika, of course, is perfection. Hard for Bubba to compete with that. Last year she punished him severely and banished him from the lambing barn for bad behavior! Ewegenie and Dorset Green are uddering up nicely. Dorset Green is a little lopsided but is a 3rd year lamber so will fill out fine. Huge udder. She still has 16 days to due date. Ewegenie is due tomorrow and has filled out too Her fore udder has suddenly developed and looks very nice. Some of my ewes have had exceptionally nice udders. Lil Sweetie still has 17 days to go. Her udder is getting there but is still small. Dorset Yellow is also due in 16 days and looks big so is definitely pregnant. Her udder is empty, but I can't remember if she is one of the ones that gets her udder just before lambing or not. She is also a 3rd year lamber.

Rambo got sent back to a lonely celibate life in the night fold. Young Alexander Lambilton remains in his juvenile pen in the barn until tomorrow when he will join Rambo on the field. The ewes will be incarcerated in the barn for a while until they give birth. Now that the rotted goat keyhole feeder had been torn out of the former lower goat pen, both rams can be housed there eventually. There is a nice 3 sided shelter 12' x 12' that will be adequate for them. The ewes and lambs will have the run of the barn and field until it is time to turn Alexander out with them for the next breeding. At that point Rambo will remain in his lonely pen, and the young ewe lambs will go to their separate pen. Life is becoming complicated with 2 rams.

But the socket crisis has been dealt with! And without buying another tool box! Gotta go bring upo those drill bits for DH to sort! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: