Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
it will require a separate tank for the washer gray water (which I think may also include the shower and kitchen sink) because that outlet exits in the front of the house and the black water exits behind the house.
Are the gray water and black water all ending up in the same leach field? If so can the grey lines get put into the black at there rear of the house? If not why does the grey need to be pumped out back? The usual purpose of separating grey and black is so you can use the grey for irrigation.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
The gray water lines come out from the laundry room and kitchen that are on the front of the house. The black water line and at least some gray water lines come from the bathrooms that are located on the back side of the house. This would not be a problem if there was no carport attached to the house. Since the lines come out on either side of the brick carport they can't be connected without digging up the concrete floor of the carport. In order to connect them beyond the carport there is not enough slope to cannot them. They need some sort of tank with a pump to pump the gray water over to the tank with the black water. I would rather have had the gray water lines leach into the field, but no such luck. :( The second tank and pump is costing the extra $4000. Still have a second septic company giving me a bid on Monday so we will see what he says.

She dropped the price $10,000, so we should be able to do the stuff without too much problem. There were 3 other offers that came in on the property. Other than the septic there is really nothing else that requires work. I tend to over do on the inspections if something is turned up in the basic home inspection. She told us about the septic leach lines needing repair otherwise we would probably not have known anything about it. Also pointed out that the roof had a leak that they repaired, and that she thought the fireplace had a crack (turned out that was not so). The property (and house) is really clean - nothing to haul off while most of the other properties had different types of stuff that needed removal.

Inside the house everything is spotless and well kept. The fan that the home inspector said needed changing actually works. One blade got broken so her grandson took off the opposite one to avoid wobbling. Pack of 4 matching blades is about $30 at Lowes. Easy to replace. DH can fix all other items. He wants the electrician to add a sub-panel on the back of the house where he can bring electricity to the barn. There is already a capped water line to the barn from the well to water the animals in the barn. DH want the electrician to move the electric line to the shed and well pump underground. We could do it ourselves, but will not be here when escrow closes so DH will pay to have it done.

There is a lot of pipe fencing and the other fencing is in good shape. The only reason for putting in m fencing is that we want the game fence - 8'. Another reason we want the higher fence is that Erick is interested in us having a litter of puppies out of our next bitch bred to Bubba. If we are having more than 4 Anatolians on the property I want good perimeter fencing. Probably a holdover from having Pyrenees that could go over anything and did. I don't think we will have problems with our dogs going over the fence, but rather than putting in 5' or 6' fencing and finding out too late that it was not high enough, we would rather bite the bullet and spend the extra for the higher game fence. These dogs will go out of the premises if the predator does not retreat so better safe than sorry.

I just have to rein DH in with regard to the extra farm purchases he is excited about. "WHOA there Big Guy!"
Plenty of time to get everything done once the property is ours and we can come back and do measuring, etc. and see how much $$$ those tractors, mules, shop buildings, carports etc. will cost. DH keeps talking about buying a new metal barn for the sheep. I keep telling him that we don't need it since the current barn is in good shape and will work perfectly. This saddens him since he think I want a nice new barn. I DO NOT. I like the current barn and it has plenty of room for all the lambing jugs I could want. I currently have 5 jugs 5' wide x 7' long. The shed But to the barn is 10' x 60'. That is where I plan to put my lambing jugs and a separate area for a creep and covered pen for ewes with tiny lambs after they come out of the jugs. Enough room for more than 5 jugs, and a large covered area for the ewes and their lambs adjacent. And another 10' x 60' add on on the other side of the 20' x 60' main barn.

DH is very excited. I am glad I brought my knitting. Knitting keeps me calm. I have completed 3 small TV lap blankets and am starting on another now. Luckily there is a Hobby Lobby in Tyler for more wool. I have already been there. o_O May have to go back for more yarn. ;)

What I need to do is PM Mike to find out how large his rotational pastures are. DH keeps asking me how large they need to be.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oops. Went to correct a spelling error and must have posted this.

We wanted to swim yesterday but a thunder and lightning storm suddenly popped up. No swimming. Today it keeps clouding up then a bit of sun and just as we put on our suits, cloudy again! We are leaving tomorrow for Fort Worth to visit our friend and broker, Kris. We have business to take care of. He wants us to stay for 2 nights - his mom wants to have us come for dinner one night as well. We will take our swimming suits - he put in a new salt water pool. Hopefully no T & L storms will show up in FW over the weekend! We will leave for Sulphur Springs early Monday morning to meet the septic man and the electrician for their estimates.

We have to arrange a visit to Erick in Leander too, before we go back to California. Hopefully he will have puppies this year and one will be ready for pick up when we come out in November.

DD1 finally bought a puppy for her children. She decided on a yellow lab. I arranged with a breeder that DS1's college friend recommended. He hunts and has a pup from them that he says is fantastic. The breeder does x rays and genetic testing for certain breed specific problems. DS1 will be going up to Reno to pick up the puppy. The breeder is up near Reno where DS1's buddy lives. This will be a good opportunity for DS1 to spend a few days with his friend and pick up the pup for his sister. I told DD1 that I will work with DGS1 on the training. DGS1 has been wanting a dog for years. So has DGD1. DGS2 is happy with his guinea pig. Need to train the puppy to leave the guinea pig alone! ;)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I totally agree with your VERY WISE husband! Yes! You need a nice new barn! He really loves you and wants the best for you. I love you too and would hate for that old barn to mar the serenity and beauty of your new barn. So as a true friend, I volunteer to take the eyesore down and haul it away for you. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The second tank and pump is costing the extra $4000.
I have the one we pulled out of this house, come get it free ;)

The fools we bought from "rehabbed" (poorly) and put the downstairs bath at the north end of the house. The pipe to the tank is 50' to the south, not nearly enough drop so they pumped it up under the second floor, connected the upstairs toilet to it. Sometimes when the ejection pump ran it would suck the water out of the upstairs toilet. I'll save you the details of the path from there.

The gray water lines come out from the laundry room and kitchen that are on the front of the house. The black water line and at least some gray water lines come from the bathrooms that are located on the back side of the house.
Oh yeah, Texas. No basement, no crawl space to run the pipe to the back.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
order to connect them beyond the carport there is not enough slope to cannot them. They need some sort of tank with a pump to pump the gray water over to the tank with the black water. I would rather have had the gray water lines leach into the field, but no such luck. :( The second tank and pump is costing the extra $4000.
*I am an engineer but NOT YOUR engineer. I am NOT a registered Professional Engineer*

If it is just grey water, that cost is absurd. You just need to know what flowrate to handle. Here is some rough numbers:

Flowrates of new laundry machines
17 - 21 gal/min
Showerheads
2.5 (new standard) - 6 gal/min
Dishwasher flowrate
Couldn't find definitive numbers, ~10gal/min

So a tank that holds around 25gallons with a float contolled ~20gpm sump pump is all you need.
An example for $520: Aprox 27gal 15gpm

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Margali how does a 2.5 gpm showerhead equate to 6 gpm down the drain? Or is that maybe for a bathtub being drained?

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Margali how does a 2.5 gpm showerhead equate to 6 gpm down the drain? Or is that maybe for a bathtub being drained?
New showerheads manufactured after 1992 are 2.5 gpm. You can pull the restrictor out of them to increase the flowrate. Pre 1992 shower heads were ~6gpm. So the actual flow will depend on age, condition and quantity of shower heads. The 2.5 - 6 gpm was to show range of possibilities.

Bathtubs hold 40 - 80 gallons and take 4 - 6 minutes to drain. The biggest & fastest draining would be 80/4 = 20gpm.

Latest posts