Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I LOVE the history and stories in all of that. That sort of thing warms my heart. I have precious little in that regard. The colors and textures are so inviting. Ya' know - take it all to Texas. You figure it out (ha you probably have a few different plans already ;) ). When each piece finds it's place they will all take on new life - be the center of attention once again. When things are in once place for a long time they tend to blend into the background of life.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have any waterways. This is a pond that fills in rainy season and stays. I plan to put a solar operated pump/aerator to put oxygen back into the water.

Nothing was said about a sacrifice lot. Under severe drought conditions, I will probably have to feed hay, pull some animals off pastures, and maybe sell some breeding stock.

Here is a map of the 15 acres only showing 75" perimeter fencing (in green), the buildings and ponds, and one pasture (in orange) fenced in 48" sheep and goat wire on T-posts with welded bracing and gate posts.
View attachment 99270
We will put in the 480' of sheep and goat wire to the barn fences (shown in red). Those are made of the portable corrals and panels. DS1 figures we have several hundred linear feet of sheep panels and panels with 4' gates. We will put 16' farm gates in the permanent wire fencing. The blue lines are the water lines that we will run from the well to the barn and pastures.

I am looking at buying Premier Electronet to use until we can get the approval from NCRS. He is not hard to work with, just have to follow the rules about application, etc. There is no more money available until next spring when the funds are allocated again. We will have our application in and be ready to sign the contract to put in the fences then. The NCRS grants in Wood County are for rotational grazing and land quality preservation rather than for waterway conservation or protection. Every county has a different conservation goal. One fellow I met at the Dorper Judging class said his county would give money for well drilling but not for fencing for rotational grazing. He is in a dry area of west Texas.

Once we get the approval and sign our contract we can start building the permanent wire fences. In the meantime, we can use the electric netting to graze the sheep. With the fenced perimeter we should be able to graze off the different planned pastures. DS1 wanted to just move the heavy corral panels every few weeks?!- :thTold him no, we could move the netting much faster and easier. He is not fond of electric fencing but willing to try it again.

The one I am considering is the ElectroNet with PrimaPosts 9/35/12 in the 164' length. This is $148/164 feet. The Prima posts are more slender support posts but are fiberglass rods which will not bend like the polyvinyl rods. These are new posts, and I couldn't get much info from the company about them. Because they are smaller in diameter, they make the roll of fencing lighter in weight. This fence comes in green and white and blue and white.. I am tending toward the blue and white for visibility. Here is the description.

"New! A prefabricated electric fence that has 9 horizontal strands (8 conductive), is 35" tall installed and has vertical struts every 12". PrimaPosts™ are built into the mesh every 12.6 ft.

When properly energized, 35" tall ElectroNet® with PrimaPosts™ is a nearly impenetrable mesh to sheep, goats, coyotes and dogs.

Why PrimaPosts?
  • Stiffer—advanced fiberglass composite for increased strength and rigidity
  • Weighs less per ft—posts are smaller in diameter vs. PVC posts of similar stiffness (13mm vs. 19mm); this enables longer sections (164' vs. 100') without additional weight"
Anyone familiar with this netting? Again it is 35" tall which both DH and DS1 feel is tall enough. Our sheep are not jumpers, and when frightened try to kill themselves by running headfirst into a wall or panel. They might run into the fence, knock it down, then drag it all over the field with them, but probably won't jump it. LOL
I will order additional posts and some clips that snap onto the post to hold up the wires on the fence and keep it from sagging.

Pease let me know if anyone has experience with this fence netting. I had some of the first Premier netting 30 years ago and it was too flimsy. It fell over, wasn't strong enough, and our goats just knocked it down and walked away. I understand the electric netting has improved a lot in the past 30 years so am willing to try it again. I plan to order a Gallagher solar charger to use on it.

This is the fence I use. I much prefer the double spike posts. So much easier to get into the ground and more secure.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is that the one that is the more reinforced one with the plastic struts? Or the one that has "strings". They all come with several kind of posts to suit your ground. I am not sure what kind of posts I would need for my sandy loan that dries hard in summer. The double spike posts are nice because they are "step in" as opposed to pound in. I like the idea of the new Prima posts because they are fiberglass reinforced and less likely to bend from the netting weight. And they weigh less overall which would make it easier to install the fence.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I LOVE the history and stories in all of that. That sort of thing warms my heart. I have precious little in that regard. The colors and textures are so inviting. Ya' know - take it all to Texas. You figure it out (ha you probably have a few different plans already ;) ). When each piece finds it's place they will all take on new life - be the center of attention once again. When things are in once place for a long time they tend to blend into the background of life.
You are right. And luckily my design style is pretty eclectic. Asian, Mexican brass tables, Persian rug, etc. with artwork ranging from old master style to modern. I am thinking about how I can bring all my treasures with me and where I will fit them. If I get light tan leather furniture (there is a Lazi-Boy dealer between us and Sulphur Springs) it will hold up and any dirt can be wiped off. I don't want black or dark brown since there will be no contrast with the Sharouk rug. Dark brown would go nicely with the Chinese rug, but so will light tan. Trying to decide how to use the large red screen though. Considered using it as window covering with barn door hardware, but not enough wall space on either side of the window. It has some damage where the hinges were, so I removed them before mounting it on the wall on a frame I made. I could repair the damage to the wood, match the paint, and add new folding screen hardware. Then I could stand it on the floor in a corner. It may be too tall to mount over the bed as a headboard. I will measure it and check when back in Texas. I did measure some of my favorite furniture to see if it will fit in the house. I already know MJ's antique wooden ice box will fit in the corner between the patio door and fireplace. That is also where we will probably mount the TV to the wall (above the ice box). I wanted to put the TV over the fireplace but the mantle is too high - I will have to see if the mantle can be lowered. I use the icebox as a liquor and wine cabinet so it MUST come with us! :lol:🍷🍸🍹🍾🥂 We will need the contents after moving!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ll give you a hint for moving furniture to a new place. Take your measurements on all that you want to take. Then make patterns with cardboard, newspaper or a roll of butcher paper. Lay the patterns on the floor, arrange to suit you and it gives you a better visual. BJ and I owned a furniture store in Livingston. People would come in, usually having retired to the lake, not knowing what would fit in their new house. I’d write down measurements and have them make patterns. Often times they would see their first choice would be too crowded and they could make better decisions on what to buy.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is that the one that is the more reinforced one with the plastic struts? Or the one that has "strings". They all come with several kind of posts to suit your ground. I am not sure what kind of posts I would need for my sandy loan that dries hard in summer. The double spike posts are nice because they are "step in" as opposed to pound in. I like the idea of the new Prima posts because they are fiberglass reinforced and less likely to bend from the netting weight. And they weigh less overall which would make it easier to install the fence.

I don’t like the fences with the plastic struts.
They may have improved over the years, but when we first got sheep 20+ years ago, we had some fencing with the plastic struts and they were really easy to break.

I have the “regular” double spike posts, not the newer Prima posts. I will say that I have accidentally snapped a couple posts over the last year. They aren’t super expensive to replace so I’ll be getting a few extras next time I place an order.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just a little info - We use electronet "gates" on 4 of our internal fenced paddocks. These are 21.5' long and I don't know if you plan on using them but Premier1 has been having them on backorder a lot more than on hand. We were able to get a replacement gate about a year ago but nothing since then.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am planning to use the electronet fencing until we can get our permanent fencing in. Then just to partition those pastures to make the sheep graze them uniformly. I will check to see if they have the gates and pick up one if they are in stock. FYI - just checked - no gates.

I plan to measure and draw up the floorplan in scale this time. I tried measuring last visit and drawing from the measurements later, but you need to be there to check when it doesn't come out right. I did measure the furniture pieces and will make the furniture pieces our of paper to place. You also have to remember to allow enough space around the furniture for traffic patterns.

Went to the toolshed yesterday and checked all the plastic boxes I pack special tools for specific jobs. I.e. spiner and spline for repairing screens, door and cabinet knob templates, laminate & hardwood flooring tools, extension cord fishtails and octopus plugs, door and cabinet hinges, cabinet knobs and pulls, latches, etc. and the other 50 plastic shoeboxes of miscellaneous sorted hardware. I packed most of them in cartons, and came up to the house exhausted. DGS1 and 2 came over and removed the broken, bent and damaged chain ink wire from the kennel frames.
They also got the baby bouncer down from the loft and also the box for the baby swing. Baby Nicholas is now able to sit up and too big for the swing. It won't move with him in it anymore. LOL I took apart the swing and packed it back into its box, then set up the bouncer. I had to get down on the floor on my knees to do those chores. Luckily, DS2 came home. After hauling me up from the floor, he took the swing down to the shed along with the empty bouncer box. Just as I hobbled over and collapsed into a chair the grandsons came in from the field. Their mother called at 6:30 to make sure they were with us. At 7 pm I realized she expected me to feed them supper. I hauled out leftover tamales, chili, spaghetti and chcken and managed to fi enough for the to eat. Needless to say I had not known I was supposed to feed them. By now I was sweaty, in pain from kneeling for an hour, in pain from my back (packing boxes), angry because poor Robert had only been put on antibiotics because his parents insisted on the strep culture (the doctor looked at his throat and told them he did not have strep since his throat wasn't red!), angry that I had to have help to get up from my knees, and overall in a really cranky mood. The kind of mood where you walk around grousing under your breath while your family all ask what's wrong and you snap at them "Nothing!" Just a really unpleasant person. Luckily DH is so deaf that he had no idea what I was saying. ;)

After dinner I collapsed again and did not get up until we went to bed. DH and I showered and fell onto the mattress but did not go to sleep. We were both exhausted but could not fall asleep. I hate times like those.

This morning I went back to the toolshed and did more work packing boxes of hardware. Packed all the different sized small screws, nails, bolts, anchors, and miscellaneous items that I store in little, plastic, labeled boxes. Time for a rest, then back to finish packing more stuff from the cabinets. I took out the double trash can holder and the try dividers from one cabinet, took down the wire organizers off the wall, and packed them in boxes. Next will be the wall organizers with small drawers, and different large hooks, shelf supports, etc. Tomorrow I will go into the milk shed and pack the tie saw, the paint sprayer, and rearrange some of the items left on the remaining shelf units. We will be taking those apart and bringing more shelf units with us to Texas on our next trip. DS2 wants the cabinets I have installed in the tool shed to remain. And if we come back I will prefer them to be here too. That makes a problem for me though. Everything I am packing for the move will have to be stored somewhere in Texas and I have only a couple small cabinets in which to store the stuff. Open shelves are ok for some of the larger tools, but those small boxes of nails, screws, etc. and the plastic shoe boxes of different small tools and hardware will need cabinets. The cabinets I put in my current tool shed were leftovers from the kitchens I installed in the apartment. I got most of them super cheap at Habitat. I don't want to buy any new cabinets for the tool shed in Texas or the barn room. I wonder if DS2 would notice if I took a few of the cabinets from my tool shed here.
:hide I will also have to put up some new shelves in the laundry room in Yantis. Maybe I can make a trip to the Pasadena habitat and see what they have in the way of used cabinets. I have a lot of closet organizer cabinets in the closets here too. Maybe I could take some of them and save some money. Not sure - I attached the closet rods to them. They are sort of permanent now. Have to see.

Time for a shower and then lay down. ALREADY JUNE?! Where did May go?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Robert is home and feeling better. A little tired and a bit cranky from his time in hospital. Apparently, he kept signing to leave the entire time he was there. Nicholas is on solids now - starting cereal. He is a big boy. At 6 months only a few lbs. larger than his 2-year-old brother! Bigger bones too.

The lambs born in March and April are growing well. The larger March ram lambs can go to auction next Wednesday. The older ewes will go on the main field with a ram, not sure who yet. Hopefully, with the ram running with them, Ozel will realize she can't play with them. I prefer for her to be punished by the ram and ewes - self disciplining as Erick calls it.

DS2 doesn't want to breed any sheep "because we will be trying to move them to Texas". He doesn't realize that we can leave the sheep here longer until the perimeter fences are ready for them. We still have some fencing to do to complete the perimeter fence. We have to extend the welded pipe fencing along the driveway, across and around the vegetable garden welded pipe fencing, and across the fencing between the back yard and the barnyard. If he and DH bothered to look at my drawings and listen to me about where the fencing has to go, it would be apparent that we have a good bit of work to do before the fencing can be finished. Sadly the term "in one ear and out the other" was apparently coined to describe how men listen to women when they are uninterested. They think they have gotten good at pretending but the glazed look in their eyes gives them away. o_O

DS2 just came rampaging through the house looking for a tool that he "left right here". I put it away in the tool shed after asking many times that he remove his tools from the hallway. I found it for him - not that I recognized it from his description, but went to the tool shed (where he insisted it could NOT be) and opened tool drawers until he found it. I will be so glad to get to Texas where DS1 and I will be able to find all our tools because WE PUT THEM AWAY WHERE THEY BELONG! And where we will be able to walk into the laundry room without falling over 2 strollers, giant diaper bag, extra boxes of tools (DS2), and empty boxes that people have unpacked and just left there. All the storage sheds and stuff does nt get put away. In fact, it spills over through the kitchen into my formal dining room and living room. :he

DD2 called and needs babysitting Mondays and Tuesdays for a while. Her day care lady injured her shoulder and slammed her hand in a car door, so is unable to take care of Annabel. Annabel starts preschool Monday next and we will have to pick up at 12:30. I need to see if DD1 can help the end of June when we have to go to Texas again - this time for a month. She and the kids will be out of school and dgd1 will love having her cousins over. Just have to navigate the shoals of "She hates me", "No, she hates me", etc. between sisters. Sigh . . . . I may be in my prime but I really feel too old for this.

Going out to remove torn corrugated metal sheets off the horse corral covers. Still have more dog kennel panels to de-chain link, but have plenty of metal for a trip to the metal yard this week.