Ringo’s Lambs! Baymule’s 5th Lambing

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am still not convinced that the abnormality was due simply to a father x daughter breeding,
I'm not convinced that that this deformity was all down to father X daughter cross either.

All that I can say without any doubt is that recessive conditions are much more likely to occur when the mating partners are related. Breeding to an unrelated animal is less likely to give these problems if 'new blood' can be introduced. Giving 'bed and board' to a neighbour's rams/bucks or other males is ideal if the facility exists.
Look no further than the British royal family or the pharaoh lines to see the effect of breeding too close in humans. Haemophilia came to Victoria's offspring this way. (I'm not anti the Royals)
Back to the lamb.....it was probably just some unfortunate example of 'these things happen', but consanguinity may have played its part.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
All that I can say without any doubt is that recessive conditions are much more likely to occur when the mating partners are related.
I definitely agree with that, Sheepshape, however, as long as the flock is not too inbred, and with the occasional outcross, line breeding is a very good breeding tool to maintain excellence in the flock along with uniformity.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I let the ewes and lambs out in the yard to graze. This is Aria and Latigo in the driveway eating acorns. I was sitting in an outdoor chair, note the propped up foot in the bottom corner. LOL

2A1CC258-61ED-4C31-9322-E7258BF9B27D.jpeg

Latest posts