Rodeogirl's herd journey

rodeogirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
1. What state/Province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
From Lovell, Wyoming. We have a population of about 3000 so not that small of a town. I'm is pretty much on the foot of the big horn mountains and it also a desert so in the summer it's hot and dry the times we don't get rain and when we do its not that bad. On the winter it's cold and normally we get a good amount of snow but the last 2 years have been unusually warm and dry.
2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?
I'm a single mother of a "helpful" little boy and a awesome boyfriend.

3. How would you define your farm?
I don't have a frame right now.

4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?
Build my Self-sufficient ranch

5. Have you ever built a house, barn , or other types of building? Do you want to?
I have helped my family build a huge garage and shed. My plan is to buy land and build mu own house.

6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?
nope not at all but I want to learn.

7. Who or what inspired you to be a farmer/rancher, hobby farmer?
I have always wanted to ranch

8 Is it a hobby or an occupation?
It will be an occupation.

9. In what areas are you knowledgeable and in what areas would you like to learn more?
I know I have a lot to learn.

10. In what types of farming will you never choose to do?
I don't think there is one.

11. Are you interested in providing more of your own food supply?
Yes I have gone through some hard times and has help from the community and would like to return the favor

12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?
the mountains

13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?
No but I want to learn

14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
I make a few things and I will teach anyone that asks.

15. Can you have legally livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
I believe we can have chicken and rabbits in town but I can't at my house.

16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?
Ya wood

17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
I love gardening and I will grow anything I can.

18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
I love fishing but I use bait I'm pretty sure explosive is illegal here.

19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country?
I live in town in a trailer park so I have about 24' x 8'.

20. Are you a Novice, Technician, General, Advanced? ARRL?
Nape

21. What is your farm specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
I'm good with most animals always have been and there is a lot I want to learn.

22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?
I dropped out of college it was a waste of my time and money.

23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?
I can do some wood work but my step dad has his own company and douse about everything.

24. Are you interested in herbal animal medicine?
Ya I am if I can it will be all I use.

25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
Up north fork just outside of Yellowstone but I will never be able to afford it.

26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
I don't right now but I will use it for both.

27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?
No idea

28. Are your family or friends also interested in animals?
yes

29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?
Yes I love to cook and bake just if I could get my boyfriend to do the dishes for me I would cook and bake more.

30. What was your best animal experience? Worst?
my best experience was probably when I started riding and my worst has been every time I have gotten kicked throne head butted and trampled but I have learned from each experience.

31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?
yes I want to.

32. What skills do you have that help you be more a self sufficient farm?
not many at this point.

33. Do you process your own meat? Can or preserve?
I can

34. Do you use alternative energy sources on your farm? Would you like to?
I would like to have a wind turbine for a water pump.

35 What is on your to do list?
buy property.

36. Have you ever lived completely off what you produce? Would you like to?
no I haven't but I would like to.

37. In what do you trust?
In god I trust and my guns

38. Do you make and fix things yourself to save money?
yes I do

39. Has the experience with animals changed your attitude or habits?

Last edited:

rodeogirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
so I don't have any livestock yet but I'm doing my research now so when I do get in a position to get livestock I will have less prep to do. I know I'm going to get Chicken, duck, turkey, pigs, sheep, cows, rabbits, and I'm a horse person so of course horses.
I'm on the fence about goats I have a love hate relationship with them. I can really use them on the self-sufficient ranch I'm planning on building but they seam to be the only animal that has a problem with my son. so if I do end up getting goats I need to get a more docile breed.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad ya have started a "Journal", and it sounds like ya will have quite a bit to keep us up-to-date with and plenty of pics to post too...:)
My suggestion, for now, is to start out with what you are most comfortable and experienced with...that way ya can get things set-up, and divert your attention elsewhere setting up other areas for the others you wish to have and learn about. That way ya can get your "Cycle and Routine" down and will have the time to spend on something new, that ya have to figure out and do research on. This would also, give ya more time to learn what ya can about the new animals and the breed that sounds like it suits what ya are looking for...that way your not having to live, learn, and raise someone else's "Choice and Suggestion", just to find out that the animal doesn't "Fit" into your plans, and ya have to put up with it or get rid of it...which can be difficult depending on the animal and problem.
This also would allow you to watch the predator activity and pressure. The more animals, and kinds of animals will draw the attention of different predators, especially there in Wy. A hungry predator will come out during the day for an easy meal. It is better to be prepared, than it is to be "Overwhelmed". Climate can change breed preference too, so take some time, and don't rush into a bunch of something, just cause ya think ya want it....be flexible. :)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
The reason for me saying such is, when we started out on our 20acres, we started with just the goats...and then added the chickens and ducks. When it would've been much easier to start with the birds first, then get the goats. The birds pretty much take care of themselves, but the goats take more time each day....especially checking for any signs or physical issues, and they are demanding...vocally...of your Attention regularly. I wasn't prepared at the beginning, and now I am playing "Catch-Up" trying to get things done. If your children are afraid of goats, then I would hold off a bit and let them get comfortable with some they aren't. As they grow some, they will overcome that fear and be less intimidated by them.:)

rodeogirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I will most likely start with chickens and a couple beef cows, and a horse or two. My son isn't afraid of goats its just all the goats he has been around so far have tried attacking him. so if I do get goats I will probably get smaller goats that would be easer for him to handle. considering he will be responsible for helping with the animals.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have pygmies and just love them....but, have thought of some of the mini breeds. Mini Lamanchas are catching my eye, but have a bit longer before I can think of actually getting them.
What breed of cows?....meat and milk?

rodeogirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I grew up around black angus and Herford so I'll stick with those at first. I might get a jersey or Holstein for milk

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
The only chickens that I have are Golden Laced Wyandottes, and we are really satisfied with them so far. We have had RIRs in the past, but wanted something different. Thinking of getting a few of another kind too.