Rolling Acres - This and That

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
PUP! I'll be 124. My daughters will be in their mid eighties. But of course it won't be a jump in 2080 to Arkansas weather in NYC, it will be a gradual change that we may all notice, certainly our kids will. Gonna do a number on the Vermont maple syrup industry.
It sure will if it keeps warming up...maybe we should stock pile maple syrup. :gig

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We make a pretty good maple syrup here in "little Switzerland" ; Highland county, Va. The climate is a microcosim (?sp?) and has a high percentage of sugar maples. The whole county participates in the "maple Festival" which is held the 2nd and 3rd weekends in March. In fact we were talking about which day we are going this year. 55 years maybe they have been holding it. You can go visit the maple "camps" - there are 6 I believe - and they have a huge craft fair at the high school. All the different fire depts have pancake breakfasts, and there is a trout hatchery/farm and you can get a real good trout dinner too. There are no "super highways" in and out, and the county is ringed by mountains so only 2 lane roads to get there. This is the major fund raising time for all the different groups, fire depts and schools. On a good weekend, when the weather cooperates, they have had over 80,000 visitors. It's crazy. We try to go the first weekend, but that gives us leeway if the weather is crummy. I think that a couple of friends are going this year. I always bring home some maple syrup as I like it in my oatmeal as well as pancakes and stuff.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have Maple weekends here too. I love visiting the maple houses and of course buying maple syrup after.
I use it on the usual like pancakes, waffles...I also use it in baking. When I make cinnamon buns, instead of regular icing, i make maple icing for the cinnamon buns.

Latest posts