Rolling Acres - This and That

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've eaten some pretty old home canned things....fig preserves, pickles, spiced peaches, and some vegtables....some up to 15yrs old....mom always told me to spoon the tops off and what is below the top should be fine, as long as color and texture are maintained....tomatos are different and won't hold as long, she never let them go longer than 3-5yrs....however, not very many made it that long cause we ate a bunch of tomato based dishes....chili, pastas, and such.....she made her pickles in a churn and would cover the lid with plastic wrap and foil....I've helped her dip them out as needed and when it grew mold on top we spooned it off and ate below it...again, as long as it held its texture, if it went mushy they were discarded, churn cleaned, and ready for another batch.....:)....ya have to remember she grew up during the depression, Nothing went to waste...what was dumped went to the hogs or chickens....:lol:

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Thank you for waiting. Let's see where do I start? I'll start with the most recent stuff then go backwards.

We were without a functioning kitchen since this past Sunday until yesterday evening. The reason you ask? We had a fire in the electrical box Sunday evening! :barnie We are all ok, just a little shaken up by what happened. And luckily it was caught in time so it didn't cause a house fire. The damage was only at the electrical box and some wires connected to it. The wiring for the kitchen (lights & outlets) and dryer and porch light were the ones affected. Thank God when it happened we were not sleeping nor were we away.

Two weeks ago, my DS and I ran a 5K. We did this 5K last year and we are going to keep doing it, make it our tradition. It was a beautiful day for our run. I did much better this year with the time. Last year I came in around 48mins (not forgetting last place shared with another lady lol). This year I pushed myself and came in 42.07mins and NOT last place, not even in the last 5 :lol:. We are running another 5K this Saturday.

The chickens have stopped laying for now. The days are getting shorter. It gets dark by 7:30. Soon daylight saving time is going to end and it will be dark by the time I get out of work at 5. :(

That's about all I got for y'all at this time. I will post pics a little while later. How is everyone doing? I haven't been reading up on your journals or posts, really behind on the current event on BYH.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @RollingAcres,

I am so glad that you and your family are OK and that the house wasn't damaged too badly! Have they figured what it was about the wiring that caused the fire? The reason that I ask is that my Baby Sister and her DH had a fire in their house just before Christmas that started in the electrical box. It turned out that they had aluminum wiring that became brittle and then overheated, causing the fire. I don't remember when the construction industry stopped using aluminum wiring in homes, but if your house was built during that time, that could be the cause.

I am so glad to hear that you and your son have started a tradition to run in 5K races! That sounds like a wonderful thing. You ought to get someone to take pictures of the two of you!

Thanks for coming back to the forum. We missed you!

Senile Texas Aggie