SA Farm's journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Things aren’t looking great for Foxy. Have the vet called, but it’s already been so long 🥺
From what I can feel, the lamb is presenting back (spine) first. I’ve tried to reposition and failed. Miserably.
More than once.
Now I’m just stuck. Waiting for the vet to call me back with an ETA. And praying he gets here in time to save her/them.
:fl
🤞 🤞

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Phew. I’m freaking exhausted and my night’s not over yet.
There were 4 lambs. 2 weren’t finished growing and were blocking the way for the live lambs. Pic attached as it’s a little garish.
Vet got them all out and explained what was going on. Basically the dead lambs were blocking the way and were folded up like balls. Gross.
The live lambs would’ve been nice to leave with Foxy, but she wants nothing to do with them after partially cleaning them off 🤦‍♀️
C2074F8F-5CDB-4F30-8F90-C2B77B78F454.jpeg
So, 2 live bottle lambs out of the ordeal. A pretty happy ending all things considered 🥰
B23AE845-E285-4FE8-BF63-D77CA9B1F69C.jpeg
Pretty sure it’s a boy and a girl, but I’ll have to double check since their genders weren’t high on my list of priorities 😝

Attachments

• 53F70120-2768-43A1-8A8A-54C9ABDFF3B9.jpeg
    53F70120-2768-43A1-8A8A-54C9ABDFF3B9.jpeg
    590.5 KB · Views: 45

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
How did the vet get the first two dead babies out? Do vets do episiomity's (sp?) on sheep?
He managed to find a back leg, then basically tucked the first leg into his hand and used the space to get the other leg, pulled it out backwards. Same for the other pretzel lamb.

He did say since the live lambs were behind the dead lambs that they stayed attached/far enough back to stay alive during the lengthy labor. Poor Foxy. No wonder she wanted nothing to do with them 😝
Vet says she should be fine. I’m going to have to think hard about her future, though.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Holy Crappoli! So glad your vet was able to get there and untangle that mess! Are quads common among sheep? Maybe mama will change her mind about them after she recovers a little? Sure hope so and sorry you had such a stressful day!
There are a few breeds that are known for “litters” of lambs. Romanov is one of those breeds. I think Finn’s hold the record with something like 9 live? I could be wrong on that one, but it was definitely an impressive number.

I pulled them and will milk her and bottle them. She’ll let me milk her, but was going crazy every time the lambs went anywhere near her. On the scale of hassle, milking and bottle feeding seems just slightly less than haltering or stanchioning for every feeding anyway.

Yes! Thank God for vets! I’m glad I have one available to me that knows sheep ❤️